5R55E Woes

RandomNerd2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 5.0, 01 4.0.
Well, I think it's safe to say I've got problems, time to ask advice. I have absolutely no TC lockup, unsure if that's a TC problem or solenoid, haven't looked into it, also got a new, intermittent issue, and that's no kick down, I swung out to pass earlier and had nothing, truck "bucked" and shifted down one, was most of the way around, and it dropped another one, for no reason, then after that would kick down no problem. Then, later on, went to take off, and it was either in lockup or high gear because it was under a lot of load, it then suddenly downshifted and went ahead, didn't do that anymore either, what am I looking at with this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The OD light blew out before this started strangely enough, so the cluster has to come out to know, and no CEL. The fluid/filter was done when I bought the truck with Castrol Mercon V.

Download forscan, get a cheap obd adapter and monitor all the transmission pids (gear_ratio, temperature (indicates slipping), commanded gear, epc, tcc, etc). Forscan will report all trouble codes after it detects your vehicle. if you go on YT you can find all the problems that happen with these transmissions. Could be a valve body issue,separator plate, solenoid, servo, servo bore, band or hopefully not something worn in the frictions.

I agree with 96, get it on a good scanner. It could be any one or more different faults. The command hierarchy for TCC lock-up is quite deep, in both electronics and hydraulics.

That's what I figured, I'll order an adapter when the money I've got coming in clears, does it make a difference if you have an ELM327 or not with Forscan?

Alright, I mostly aimed that at the Forscan users, and have edited my post to reflect it.

forscan does everything thru an elm interface.
I use an adapter made by BAFX. Not the cheapest, but it works with good performance. If you want something cheaper it must specify
SAE J1850 PWM
Many of the elms are clones of the real thing that only have a subset of functionality.
FORSCAN will push the adapter to the limit.

OBDlink mx is suggested by the author, but you don't really need it for our cars. i don't want to get into all the details.

Bluetooth is preferred.

I never tested it but it may actually allow bidirectional controls for the transmission.

I know it can work bi-directionally with the TOD solenoid in the transfer case.

No other scanner will give you this much functionality for the price(free, plus the cost of a cheap adapter). Also, the author works with you if something isn't right, we worked together to get forscan to read the keyless code.

There are a lot of scanners on the market. Make sure that you use a scanner which is capable of reading manufacturer specific transmission codes.
I have an android computer in my dash as a stereo. Not only can forscan read codes but it can display ANY pid. You can have a dashboard showing every live pid about your transmission. I know for example my shifts are immediate after a fluid flush and filter because I can see the numbers change. I can monitor slip ratio. Of course the computer watches these numbers like a hawk and if anything isn't right a code is set, but nonetheless it is useful to know what is going on or if something is on the border.

This functionality on Android cost a few dollars, if you want to see multiple pids. one pid on android is free. PC full version is free, and has more functionality as well (tests for example). His plans though are to add everything to the Android version.

Okay, so an update to this thread, haven't ordered the upgraded reader, though have decided to try the BAFX one @96eb96 unless there's a specific issue with using it for this. Anyhow, did some trial and error testing, rear ABS sensor, changing that did nothing, and the TPS, that helped with it on takeoff, hasn't been gutless a single time, sensor taken off was aftermarket, I didn't buy it, one I swapped on was a Ford OEM one, but still no lockup.

96 is likely referring to the GEM test protocol in ForScan. During which you follow the on screen prompts and the software will activate the shift encoder.

Alright, I got in my new reader, and it's awesome, I can see everything pretty well, read codes for everything, really worth the $20ish, anyhow, I have a code, one code, and it does come back when cleared. The code is P0741, which says 'TCC slipping higher than expected" or something like that, so, now what? Change the fluid and filter and hope it goes away?

Same code I had. Probably need to replace the converter and stator seal at the least. More realistically replace the valve body and solenoids as well. How does the fluid look? The fluid in my transmission went a distinct gray color. What happens is the clutch is no longer locking up, and you will see slippage and burning. As I posted above, the command hierarchy for lock-up is rather deep. This is a very common failure point. A couple of areas of concern are: the F-57 converter itself is prone to wear at the piston hub. The stator seal also can leak internally, it has been redesigned and updated several times. TCC Solenoid problems (a PWM solenoid requiring advanced equipment to test), internal hydraulic leakage at valve body or elsewhere. What you can do is use your scanner to see if the TCC solenoid is showing on when it should. But look at the fluid, those converters really go self destruct when P0741 is showing.

I should add there are posts here where the TCC solenoid was replaced, and the issue was reported as resolved. But if the converter is fragging, the transmission and cooling system must be removed, disassembled, and cleaned, an overhaul basically.

The fluid is red, somewhat darker than it probably should be, but it's not a bad bad color by any means, nor has it changed any in the time I've been driving the truck, which is roughly 7K miles now, it's a darker red color. Earlier, I could've sworn it locked up, was running 65 and the RPMs just dropped down to exactly where they should be, and then in a bit they went back up. I'll do that with the scanner and get back to this thread. To be honest, at 194K, I'll probably just find a drop in for it, know a friend with a solid 2 dozen blown SOHCs, one has a 5R55E with beautiful fluid he'd strike a deal with me on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If i have already removed the transmission is it too late to get the codes? I had no overdrive with the light flashing. Greyish fluid upon teardown nothing in the clutch packs or sprags worn.

Back