5R55S Occasional No 5th. Recent P0775 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55S Occasional No 5th. Recent P0775

jstaif

Reaction score
City, State
Harrison Twp, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Exp XLS 2007 XLT
Hello,
I'm still searching the forum for this issue and am well aware of the common issues with this trans but wondering if anyone has info on this specific situation.

I have a very late 2002 Explorer (8/2002) 4.0 5R55S with 209K miles. About once a week for the last month I get the "OD off" light and notice that it won't go into 5th when this happens. Upon shutting off the ignition and restarting the car, the light stays off and it shifts fine.

Last night it threw the P0775 code (Pres. Reg Solenoid) along with the OD off light. I cleared the PCM code and its stayed off since. I have not been able to read the "OD off" code.

There are no shift issues with 2nd gear, and its not doing any rough shifting or flaring. The only repair so far was the solenoid pack (replaced 6 months/7500 miles ago). Occasionally I get a moderate shudder when accelerating at about 40mph in 5th.

Has anyone seen this set of circumstances?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you dropped the pan? Checked for metal in pan? These like to grenade the planetary gears. You'll see metal in the pan and valve body.

Have not dropped the pan yet. I'm trying to better understand the problem before that. Trying to understand the type of issue would cause: 1) Losing 5th but not 2nd. 2) Restarting the car and 5th works again 3) Intermittent occurrence.

It sounds like the servo bores need to be repaired (rebuild time). Another option is to get the aftermarket servos with O rings. You could install them while the transmission is still in the vehicle.

Have not dropped the pan yet. I'm trying to better understand the problem before that. Trying to understand the type of issue would cause: 1) Losing 5th but not 2nd. 2) Restarting the car and 5th works again 3) Intermittent occurrence.

Drop the pan. I had a buddy who spent plenty of time fooling with his 5R55 to no avail. He finally dropped the pan. Metal. The OD planetary had chewed itself up, pretty common.

My guess is also worn servo bores, thats the only thing that I have fixed the P0755 code.

Thanks for the info. Still not clear on why this doesn't affect 2nd gear and only 5th given that these are the same servo and planet set.

Since this is a very late 2002, I believe it has the 2003 level trans (no fill plug behind the servos). Has any had to re-sleeve a a transmission that already has factory sleeves installed (by Ford)?

Thanks for the info. Still not clear on why this doesn't affect 2nd gear and only 5th given that these are the same servo and planet set.

Since this is a very late 2002, I believe it has the 2003 level trans (no fill plug behind the servos). Has any had to re-sleeve a a transmission that already has factory sleeves installed (by Ford)?

To add to what I posted last week. My buddies Explorer was hard to diagnose because metal pieces had worked there way into the valve body. The debris restricted flow to some valves and jammed others. Have you checked for metal in the pan?

Back