5R55S transmission rebuild | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55S transmission rebuild

thanks laurentg, pictures do tell a thousand words, im sure they will be very handy to other DIYers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like you have been receiving a decent amount of bad information. Ford still sells solenoid blocks; the most recent revision is part number 9L2Z-7G391-A and can be had from dealers like Tasca for just under $300.

I have no experience with the Sonnax remanufactured units. It does look like they at least attempt to improve them with an external circuit board, unlike most places that just pull used low mileage units and call them rebuilt. However, they are still rebuilding an older revision and they are not addressing the internal wear issues. Spending a little more for the right part is still my recommendation.

You need to unscrew the 10mm electrical connection on the top of the solenoid block...like I said:
i have to get suv back on the road.too cold to drive atv.
my 1/4 "ratchet got the bolt out of the electric plug.i instaledl the 'rebuilt' one.cost 241.salesman says its better than oem.
i just got internet service.
shop wanted $150 labor,$350 for part,fluid $3.50 qt.wrecker $100
i hope you guys will help with future repairs.180,000 miles.
front sway bar needs rubber bushings.where do i buy those?i avoid dealerships after being cheated.

Regarding tapping the holes, be really careful about where the chips end up. Very easy to get into the oil passages. I did this with mine also and it made a mess, but got it cleaned up very carefully. If you are rebuilding it doesn't matter so much, but if just changing the pump it could be a problem. I used a slide hammer on mine, and the pump popped right out on the first pull. I used a 10mm tap to match the thread on my Harborfreight slide hammer.

there is a great youtube on the 5w55s complete disassembly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgEB1mmNguo

I didn't get the Superior shift kit, but the Transgo one instead; but I still went for it and drilled holes in the support plate like you see at 16:40 and another in the pump to enlarge the lube orifice at 17:50. I used a 1/8" drill bit which seemed right (I'd love for someone to confirm or correct me on the size).

Almost done... I'm anxious to see if I just ruined my transmission!

I'm anxious to see if I just ruined my transmission!

I think you'll be fine - he explained it well in the video. small hole like 1/8 inch seems about right to me.

I didn't get the Superior shift kit, but the Transgo one instead; but I still went for it and drilled holes in the support plate like you see at 16:40 and another in the pump to enlarge the lube orifice at 17:50. I used a 1/8" drill bit which seemed right (I'd love for someone to confirm or correct me on the size).

Almost done... I'm anxious to see if I just ruined my transmission!

Take your time and go by the letter of the book and it will be good. Regarding the drilling, I didn't know what was correct size, so I didn't want to take a chance. I don't think you went too large though. I put the Transgo kit in mine. It shifts a bit on the harsh side, but I'm getting used to it. I think part of my problem is all my half shafts are loose, so probably intensified it. Putting it back in wasn't nearly as hard as removing, just tedious lying on your back. Hardest part was getting the top starter bolt tight. Also, don't waste your time with the torque converter access hole when installing the nuts. If you use an offset box wrench you can get at them way easier from the access cover. I used a Harbor freight wrench that fit perfect. And if you read my other post, use a 1/2" swivel socket on the top bell housing bolts. Tap the bolt into the socket and it' goes in really easy. Just don't get it so tight you lose your socket up there!

UPDATE - I have since completed the rebuild and the transmission is running and shifting like new.

Thanks for the help guys, and for others who are planning to rebuild their 5R55S or 5R55W, the book really was a must.

Brilliant solution to the problem! You ought to be working for some Engineering outfit! Keep the chips produced out of the fluid channels/passages is all you have to watch out for!

Thanks for such sharp thinking! imp

Back