• Register Today It's free!

5R55w to 5R55S swap

kolb

Reaction score
City, State
New Braunfels, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
Ok, so the trans in my 265,000 mile Explorer pooped the bed. I installed the updated O-ring servos for a slipping and flaring shift. Truck shifted GREAT...for about 50 miles and now I have a broken intermediate band.

My truck has a 5r55w and in my shop I have a low mileage 5r55s that came from a wreck. I know (I think) if I swap the "S" into my truck it will supposedly set a CEL because of the ratio change. I also understand an ECU change would be needed from a truck with the same engine and a "S" trans to make everything work. How do I know what computer code I need? How similar does the donor truck need to be to my truck in order for the computer to work ok with my vehicle and the 5r55s?

I don't want to spend the coin on a rebuilt 5r55w as the truck just isn't worth enough to justify the expense. Since I have the 5r55s already, it's the truck's only chance for more miles. Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Truck is as follows: 2002 Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOHC AWD with 3.55 axles and just about every option offered in 2002 except sunroof.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No one?....that's not good.

Guess what I need to know is how perfect the donor truck has to match mine in order for the PCM swap to work? I.E. if it's from an AWD 4.0 like mine but doesn't have some of the other option mine has, will the other modules play nice with it?
Does anyone know for sure this will work?

Bueller........ Bueller.......
Bueller?:(

Guess the Explorer is :dead:

@kolb
Sorry, I just saw your OP today. Here's the scoop as I understand it. You are correct regarding the W and S having different gear ratio, it happens to be 2nd. gear, will throw code for incorrect ratio, shine that damn light in your face, unless.......

Two "rubs" come in. First, S showed up right around the time Drive by Wire came about, 2004, I believe. You need to find out if 2003 definitely was NOT drive by wire, AND did it use 5R55S. If yes, get a 2003 PCM (ECU, whatever the hell you want to call it, computer) and it should work. imp

imp - Thanks for your input. Will I need to do any reprogramming of the new PCM to assign it to my car? (VIN recognition, additional options, etc). Does it HAVE TO BE one from an AWD like mine or will a 2wd PCM work? All of the above assuming I find a cable opperated non- DBW truck with the S trans.

imp - Thanks for your input. Will I need to do any reprogramming of the new PCM to assign it to my car? (VIN recognition, additional options, etc). Does it HAVE TO BE one from an AWD like mine or will a 2wd PCM work? All of the above assuming I find a cable opperated non- DBW truck with the S trans.
@kolb
Reprogramming of PCMs after early 90s is not even possible, I'm told, so, no. I have replaced PCMs in two vehicles recently, '94 Mustang 5.0 and 2004 Explorer 4.0 without problem.

I will GUESS that since PCM has no functional inter-relation with the AWD set-up, a 2WD ought to work. Yes, cable operated T.B. needed. Wish I could tell you more.....imp

imp - I understand. I KNOW there is a PCM out there that is a non-DBW and has the S trans. I actually have the engine and trans from one, which is where this S trans came from and the engine is cable driven. Unfortunately I didn't pick up the PCM at the time, and now the donor vehicle has been recycled into a guard rail or train car etc. Thanks again for the help.

Back