supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport | Page 108 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

hi everyone, my name is tim . i live in selkirk, manitoba, canada and as if this date that i am posting this, i am 36 years old.

i bought my sport in jan 05 from a local ford dealer. it had 111,000KM's on it. this is the second sport i have owned. it was sitting on the lot for about 8 months before i came along. i am the third owner (i was able to track down the person that traded it in, and they got it from a friend, who bought it new in 98).

i started to do a few things to it after i first got it, then i found this site, and all hell broke lose! i've never been satisfied with something the everyone else has, so i started to tinker with it even more.

19_Medium_.jpg

15540626_10154060266577513_2405619719549828739_o.jpg

14242313_10153799452207513_5208987697549996496_o.jpg

50213558658671_547488670_7421875_7068292_n_Medium_.jpg

15_Medium_.jpg

evil_and_min_evil.jpg

DSC01337_Medium_.jpg

DSC01341_Medium_.jpg

DSC02874_Medium_.jpg

10660988_10152352316047513_1588917598_n.jpg

m122b.jpg

981349_256309931177894_674155846_o_1_Medium_.jpg

DSC04422_Medium_.jpg

mods include

interior

installed factory tilt, cruise, overhead console, auto dimming mirror, full length console, with a message center (it didn't have these from factory).

white face with blue flames indigo gauge covers (they light up blue)
blue l.e.d. everything
white l.e.d. interior lights
Kenwood DDX392 Touch Screen Head Unit
alpine 4 channel amp (all four speakers)
boston acoustic front and rear speakers
alpine mono amp (for sub)
2 12 inch jl audio subs
rockford fosgate cap
passenger side one touch window down mod.
custom transfer case shifter
tripple a pillar gauge pod, housing autometer boost, Innovate LC-1 wideband, and oil pressure gauge
12v power inverter with 120v plug in a 2 usb plugs built into the center console

exterior

BMW E46 projectors, mounted into stock housings using clear lens
6000K HID head lights
angel eye "driving" lights, with 8000k h.i.d.'s
clear parking/corner lights
billet grill (powder coated by Turdle)
blacked out ford emblems
custom front steel 95-98 bumper, with 4 inch round tubes welded in for driving lights
shaved radio antenna
shaved roof rack
black euro tall lights
l.e.d. license plate lights
smoked out 3rd break light
lund rear tailgate spoiler/wing (formally from the truck "blackjack" owned by EF member Spas)
hand made roll pan (made from 3 1/2 rear bumpers, with 1/4 inch diamond plate on the top, and it is removable)
aluminum T/A differential griddle/cover (powder coated by Turdle)
Motegi Mr107 20' rims
goodyear wrangler hp p245/50 r20
1 1/4 wheel spacer in the rear, 3/8 in front
and most noticeable, black with blue pearl paint, and blue true fire (ground effects are black with blue pearl as well)

Suspension

2 inch lowering blocks in the rear, reverse TT in the front (2 inch as well)
Explorer Express rear sway bar
4 door leaf springs
rancho rs9000 adjustable rear shocks
03-05 sport trac spindles with drilled and slotted rotors

performance

5L swap
347 stroker
TFS twisted wedge alum heads
comp gold 1.6 rockers
comp cams CCA-35-556-8 nitro cam
heavily modified edelbrock victor jr air gap intake (which serves as a valley pan now)
eaton m122 supercharger (metco 2.70 pulley, and ASP 8 rib 7 1/4 crank pulley) with custom made mount with bell intercooler core
8 rib serpentine belt conversion using pulleys from a 7.3 powerstroke
custom made 3 1/2 inch throttle body elbow
accufab 75mm throttle body
4 inch intake pipe
PMASS MH90 90mm Universal 3000 KG/HR MAF
amsoil cone filter
F.A.S.T. 60lb injectors
edelbrock fuel rails, trick flow specialties fuel pressure regulator with summit racing fuel pressure gauge
walbro 255lph fuel pump
1/2 inch steel braided fuel pressure line from tank to rail using 8AN fittings
torque monster headers
2 1/2 duel pipes with flowpro duel in and out 2 1/2 single muffler
accel extreme 9000 ceramic 45 degree plug wires with boot protectors
4R70W w/2600 stall with J mod
tuff stuff 200a alternator
tuning made possible with sct pro-racer package, and tuned with major help from member [MENTION=102869]Dono[/MENTION] and [MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION]
flex a lite duel 12 inch electric fans
big 3 upgrade (4 gauge wires)
meziere innercooler water pump
2 froozenboost innercooler rads

Transfer case

4406 manual shift from a 97 F150
modified stock trans cross member to accept 93 mustang 5L polyurethane tans mount
double cardan rear drive shaft

because of all the "fun" i had doing the bodywork, and some other things to my truck, i have nick named it "evil dora" or if you like, just plane "evil"!
and now the thank yous

my buddy gord leiss, who let this thing sit in his garage for 3 months while i did the body work to it. he also gave me a hand with some of the prep work, and painted it for me

kevin willson for doing the true fire http://affordableairbrushing.ca/

Joe Bukoski for letting me do the 5L/4406 swap in his garage

now people from this site, weather they knew it or not, they helped

BIG THANKS to tara a.k.a. explorersport77 for pictures of her truck. wouldn't been able to build the roll pan with out them!

ExplorerSport77's X "Hotness"

jon a.k.a. Turdle for selling me some real swanky rear shackles, as well as powder coating the diff cover and sending them up to canada. as well as much needed info on v8, and 4406 swaps as well as doing the grill and showing me how its done.

don aka dono for the help with the tuning, and wideband, as well as the supercharger

andy aka ahodges for some parts, and any help i needed for all the go faster goodies

5.0 swap - w/ 4406

jad2411 for finding me a link for my hidden antenna

ryan a.k.a. MustangP51 for doing his write up on making l.e.d.'s for interior lights, and how to make projectors

P51's HID Headlight (Projector) and Fog Conversion (PICS)

and N3ELZ cardomain page for L.E.D. switch and cruise pod mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-6
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-12
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-23

bob a.k.a. rwenzing for showing me speedhut's sit for the gauges

Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod

Buzz4x4 for his write up on blacking out ford emblems

How to Make Your Own Custom Ford Emblems

the late aldive for his write up on one touch down passengers window mod

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141027&highlight=touch+passengers+window+mod

BIG COUNTRY, for his write up on how to install a auto dimming mirror

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84968

BIG COUNTRY, 98formulaLS1, and Ryon40 for there write ups on how to install a message center

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225017&highlight=BIG+COUNTRY
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80670&highlight=message+center
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245085&highlight=Ryon40

MountaineerGreen for his 4406 swap write up and "Custom" Driveshaft for a 4406 and 4" Superlift on the Cheap " (even tho its lowered

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=awd+4x4+swap
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185232

Simon, aka blueka for his "pickle" thread, and help anytime i picked the phone up the phone on the 5L swap

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271813

Jon, aka 4pointslow for any MAJOR technical advice i have needed

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219092

i wish i could find who did the write up on the overhead console install, but here is the link

http://www.explorer4x4.com/overhead.htm

Russ aka NICE59FORDF100 for his help on the wiring, and what to watch out for electronically.

hopefully one day, i will be able to help people on here just as much as the people that i have mentioned above!

picture.php

plus you know you have done something right when.....

your truck (as well as corkey) wins truck of the month

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=296023

is the feature truck on the fun hump day radio show (starts roughly around the 30 min mark)

http://explorerforum.podbean.com/2011/03/23/19-vroom-zoomboom/

and you drive 26 hours ONE WAY to the carlisle all ford nationals in june 2010 and 2011, and grab second place in the s.u.v. all category!

scan00012.jpg

then in 2014 you go back to the same show you have been to 5 years in a row (nothing by most, but its one hell of a long drive) and take first!

scan00014.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Evil is testing new boundaries. the heater box is going to be an issue. Are we pulling your passenger header to wrap it next? your running out of boxes to melt. lol

that thing tests me on a daily bases. after looking a the shield, its a lot longer and thicker then a v6. we better not have to pull that header. i really dont want to wrap it at all.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thanks for posting that video, I love the sound of the exhaust and wine of the supercharger. We need more of that!

Thanks for posting that video, I love the sound of the exhaust and wine of the supercharger. We need more of that!

HAHA thanks john. evil exhaust....um...yea. i have a friend that has told me he can hear it a block away. i have neighbours 3 doors away that can hear it fire up. not going to even say how loud it can get inside either lol. its funny also because i can hardly hear the supercharger from the drivers seat, but in that video you can really hear it scream away. must be from where the air filter is located.
we also need more cow bell to!

I love the sounds too, and I bet she did after she thought about it.

Is there much room between the AC box and the header? If it's got close to an inch, I think a metal shield is the answer. If it's not hot enough for aluminum, I'd use that to create a pocket around that corner. I'm talking about placing a sheet metal barrier there, with an air gap which you can force cooler air through. If you can treat it like a brake caliper and build an air box to it, with ducting to bring cool air to it, that will save the AC box. The metal might have to be steel if it's too hot for AL though. It needs a good 1/2" gap there too.

been a quiet winter so far. i have thrown the towel in on one thing however. dono has done a great job helping (doing) the tuning for me, but he will admit he is no expert. so what i have done now is handed the tuning over to don lasota at lasota racing (http://www.lasotaracing.com/). have only done a few logs, he did find a few problems so far. first one was the isc integrator was near pegged. which was weird because don an i almost had it perfect. turns out that the tps was hanging on by one bolt that was also threaded out haft way. fixed that, then the second problem was the O2's were off. bank one was running richer then bank 2. havent been able to look at that just yet because it has been colder then mars up here for the last week (pretty much no lie on the comparison either). he had told me it gets better when the rev's go up, but at idle its off. i think i have cooked the #3 plug wire so that will be the first thing i will try.
i am going to give lasota i little plug here. a few posts back i had mentioned that he somehow found almost haft a second and a mph in the 1/4 for me, and that was taking a fast look at the tune dono did for me. thats impressive. now after getting him to tune it, not only has he spotted problems, but has told me how to identify them, but even in one example, how to fix it (i told him that i had played with the
throttle body, so he sent me this on how to reset it). the other tuner would simply say "you have a problem with the truck, fix it", or not say anything at all. so far i am pretty impressed with him.

16111493_10154124311967513_2073602003_n.jpg

other then picking up a few trucks to fix up, and flip (one which i have at the moment is a 00 limited with a v8 which is extremely rare up here, dono's is the only other one i can say i have seen, and he bought his from Illinois and drove it back. plus its almost a twin of his, with a different interior colour). i have (sorta) a new member to the fleet that wont be leaving anytime soon.

15936742_10154122906267513_7684397887378677514_o.jpg

i have seemed to rub off on my son kyle. he finally got his drivers license about 2 months ago (and has got to use a few trucks that i have bought to sell). i showed him this that a co worker was selling, so i picked it up for him. he fell in love with it when he laid eyes on it. needs some fixing, but they all do. the only thing is, i have rubbed off on him too much. he has already told me he wants to lift it, put bigger tires on it, and a push bar......lucky for him i still have the shell that the stroker came from which has a body lift, and warrior shackles on it. if he says he wants a 302 in it, i am going to say your on your own kid lol. i am also going to tell him he better join EF, and start reading. after all, thats 75% of the way i learned about evil.

Your son's screen name should be VroomZoomBoom Jr.

well...i was right. #3 it was

16406647_10154176391727513_4423032950736230078_n.jpg

oh wait, theres more! after replacing that one wire with a new one don gave me, i could feel a vibration in the motor. when i sent a log to lasota, he said it was way better, but there was still some funny things going on with the o2's.
ladies and gentlemen, i introduce to you, #4 plug wire.

16427615_10154176433017513_904585759981871718_n.jpg

that literally crumbled in my hand before i took that pic. i tried something different with those wires, and that was putting head shrink on them, then wrapping them with header wrap, then putting the fibreglass boots on. looks like a fail to me. i have replaced the plugs with new ones (#7 i think i had gaped way to much) gaped them all at 32, and replaced the wires with accel extreme 9000 ceramic wires (part #9002C). i had also ordered terminals, but when i looked into my stash i had just enough to make a set. have some coming anyway so don and i will be set for awhile.
the tuning has been aggravating. or im sure on lasota's end. somehow each file he has sent was corrupt. even though he doesnt want to do it, but i asked him and that is to build off what don has done so far. i have to say i am pleased with him. he has returned emails within a few hours every time i have sent either a question, or a log.
also, i took her for a ride the other night to stretch her legs. i have forgotten how hard it will slam, and i mean SLAM you in the seat with the cold air we have at the moment. i mean, when your doing around 40kms (25mph) i hammer down on the loud peddle and manage to break all four tires loose and hit 80kms (50mph) before you can think about it.....i need to start on a intercooler for this ***** and soon! lol

16508221_10154176391822513_367765232487666633_n.jpg

That spark plug wire looks awesome!
I hope this is the cure for the repeated wire failure caused from excessive heat off the headers.
Maybe some 12's in the quarter mile are coming next season for you!
Your truck is truly awesome!

that was what i was thinking, 12's lol. im kinda thinking i told dono to wick the timing up a little to high and that my be the problem for the heat thing.

Nice, I like that plug wire, it's ceramic there right? That should be better to hold the fragile end section intact.

Don't quote me on this but I think it is advanced timing raises temperature in the cylinder, and overly retarded timing raises temps across the exhaust valves and into the manifolds/headers. I believe the idea is the mixture is still burning as it exits the cylinder.

If you open a stock tune and look at the timing tables you can see where the engine was designed to be, where it would be safe to not cause detonation and not burn the exhaust valves on the way out. Then look at what timing you are running with the engine modifications and boost, it has to be retarded from where factory settings were.
Are your headers wrapped? May help with keeping heat off the wires.

you might be right. after all, i know nothing about tuning lol. i seem to remember dono saying it was at 14 degrees advanced, but i could be wrong. headers are not wrapped. and if i can help it, i dont want to wrap them. i have heard that stuff will trap moister and every time i wash the truck, the motor gets sprayed down as well. also with no fender liners (splash shields yes, the clip on liners, no) all sorts of gunk can get in there. specially when i drive it in the winter (which still to this day not many people believe me). i did wrap the boots with header wrap, then slid the socks over top of the wires however.
don emailed me back and had said that the last log was MUCH better, so he has sent a new file for me to load in, and do a load, and WOT pull. i am hoping to do this today, but i have been feeling like hell all weekend (and i am sure doing the plugs and wires outside at -15C didnt help) so i will see how things go. as i said before, i do really like that he is fast with his email responses.

Tim's timing is substantially advanced at low load from factory. I based my 'guess' on decipha's mbt chart he published. Here is a shameless cut/paste from his site. I'd post the link, but for whatever reason It doesn't work.
upload_2017-2-6_8-55-17.png

We all know there is more to mbt timing than just the head. There is also compression. So, I lowered timing more. It does look like an aluminum head can take more timing than the factory sbf head though.

It is difficult to know what mbt timing could possibly be during low load conditions as there is never really detonation. Tim could very well be on to something with the motor overheating because of too much timing at no/low load conditions, we will have to try it and see.

It was great to see Tim finally say 'Uncle' and go with the flow on the ceramic plug wires. Although, I have managed to destroy a few plug wires pulling the boot off and the connector is left on the plug. I don't think any plug wire likes to be taken on and off much.

It's all but impossible to tune a vehicle that everything is not working perfectly. Its a moving target as the motor is perfect one day, and then the next day its with a partially firing cylinder. It's nice to see Tim working with someone that has endless experience and can reasonably quickly recognize an issue and point Tim in the right direction to repair.

I'm really interested on what the idle issue turns out to be, and how Lasota tunes it. This is all learning for most of us here.

had i known those wires were available before i bought the last set, i would have got them. good thing you were thinking. the only one thing that does worry me tuning in the winter is you can get away with more timing then in the summer because of all the cold air that the motor is ingesting. might not have any ping when its -20C outside, but what will happen when its 25C and the under hood temp is hotter then the sun. havent even looked at the hood i was trying to make in the summer/fall either. lets also hope that you are able to read the history on what he has changed so you can use it to your advantage

Pulling a few degree's timing if required is super easy Tim, so don't be concerned there. Nice to see progress happening.

I think this year is going to be an interesting year for the both of you, cant wait to see the limits of these Explorers pushed yet again.

im just hoping we dont go beyond that limit. the whole "stock blocks can take x amount of boost/horse power before you have two 4 cylinders" still floats around in my mind. that and the luck don's been having, i am surprised he hasnt dowsed it in gas, flicked a match and walked away!
having a new problem. seems every file don has emailed me makes the truck do the same thing. it will idle no problem, but tap the gas when in gear and the wideband goes to 21.8 and turns gutless. and it is now doing it with the tune dono did for me, and don touched up for me (the one that the truck ran the 13.12 in the 1/4). i emailed him both log and tune he sent me, and the one he touched up for me. but i thinking this. the one he touched up for me has been in the hand held for months, and the ones he sends me get loaded in when i get them. i am thinking it might be possible that my advantage III is screwing something up somehow. will wait and see what he thinks.

How old is the fuel pump?

few years. not sure of the mileage however. when i load one of my old tunes in that was in the hand held the truck runs fine. don emailed me back. he said it is possible that advantage might be the problem and gave me steps on how to fix it. he also said if that doesnt work, i might have a bad pcm....awsome....

Back