• Register Today It's free!

6F35 Transmission Whine

DelcoGary

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware County PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer XLT 4wd 2.3L
I noticed that my 2016 2.3L "4WD" XLT that just turned 59k miles and has developed a pretty noticeable whine coming from the transmission (possibly PTU?) between 2500 to 3000 RPM. This started recently (~57 to 58k miles). Many transmission parts were replaced as part of the transmission reprogramming and overheating TSB that was issued (I forget the number). I believe that the noise is coming from the torque converter because the whine is noticeable when parked and the engine is between 2500 and 300 RPM as well as when in motion at those RPM (like when downshifting to go up a hill). I don't think that it is the PTU as it whines when parked and I would think that it is motionless (and silent) when parked.

My question to knowledgeable folk is:
1) Is this significant?
2) Would a fluid change make a difference (quiet it down) - keeping in mind that many parts were replaced as part of the extended transmission warranty repair at ~53,000 miles (and $3800 of Ford's money).
3) Is this the way that the 6F35 is? (a whiney transmission/torque converter)

Given the extent of the repairs at 53k miles (torque converter replaced among other parts) I would think that darn near all of the fluid would have been replaced but maybe that's not the case. This weekend I will draw a sample to send to Blackstone.

Below 2500 RPM it's not noticeable and currently, it seems to shift fine but I am looking to hear other's opinions and experiences as to whether to live with it or have it looked into.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check fluid first

Then Scan DTC history and see if any codes show up.

If the previous warranty work was not that long ago it more than likely is related and or not done correctly

The 2016 2.3L Ecoboost does not have a transmission fluid dipstick.

Peter

The 2016 2.3L Ecoboost does not have a transmission fluid dipstick.

Quite right Peter. The lack of a dipstick complicates matters a lot IMHO. There's no easy way to check the fluid level. I can't even feel around for the leveling port bolt as it must be really close to the frame rail and is not readily visible (plus I guess I have fat fingers LOL!).

The videos on servicing the 6F35 seem to be on Fusions. As that's a different platform, the access is different and, from what I can tell, easier.

Back