• Register Today It's free!

6th spark plug ....

Lamah

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
I recently changed my spark plugs... well, acctually i changed 5 of them. I cant not seem to get at the 6th spark plug. This is the left rear spark plug on a 1991 Explorer XLT V6 4.0L. Any assistiance is appreciated.

Thank ya kindly, :)
Jeff A.k.a Lamah

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I change the plugs I remove the inner fenderwell on the passenger side. I can then turn the wheels to the left to get in there (or you can pull the tire).. I use 1 short extension, 1 long extension and 1 long wobble extension. I can then get in there and take out the plug.. Now that I've done it before I can do it in just over an hour.. even less sometimes (I don't always put the inner fender back in).

the side panel wouldnt do anything, the plug is behind the vent thing, i can take a picture if it would help.

I basically do the same as Mark, except I cut a notch in the plastic fender well liner for easy access.

You mean behind the AC? If so thats how it is on our 1992. With the inner fenderwell off and the tire off I can stick my head in there and see it good enough to work. If I didn't have the 3 extensions (1 behing a wobble) I don't think I would be able to do it..

I think the best way to get that last one is from underneath. It is directly above the oil filer. I don't recall even using an extension, just a ratchet and socket. Oh yeah, and gloves.

I just change my spark plug and seems the only way is to remove the driver side wheel and remove it from under the fender. Have a good stand to support the truck for safety then with a creeper, long wrench extension with universal adapter should do it. It's a lot of patience. If you can raise the truck would be much better. Even removing the plug wires on that side would be better to do it under the fender with the tires removed. Good luck!

I changed mine from the top, but its been awhile, so i can't remember which extensions I used. Thats why I used platinum plugs, so I wouldn't have to do it for a long time.

I just replaced my plugs this summer on my 94 sport, it was my second time. I used a tip from my Chiltons, it worked very well. Using a piece of vacuum hose that fitted snuggly on the tip of the plug, it should be about 18 inches in length or what ever will work. Then, by twisting the hose between your fingers you can turn the plug from a clear position. Also, if the threads are not lined up the hose just slips. After the plugs are as tight the hose will allow you should be able to get a socket on it for the final couple of turns. Also, concerning the plug you referred to earlier. I used a 3/8 ratchet and a 1 inch extension with a regular spark plug socket.

Back