6x9's in replace of stock 5x7 in 1st gen ex? possible? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

6x9's in replace of stock 5x7 in 1st gen ex? possible?

FordBoy350TD

Reaction score
City, State
Norwalk, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
sup guys, i really want to upgrade to 6x9's in replace of the stock size 5x7's in my 93 cuz i just need a bigger speaker cuz the max watts i can get in a 5x7 is 350 max and i want more because i keep going through speakers because i blast all my music lol so ive been wondering if it's possible that i could upgrade (hopefully it's a easy mod) to a 500 watt or more 6x9, is this possible guys? anyone done this custom mod before?

please let me know thanks!

or if anyone can find a higher wattage 5x7 cuz im sure i've pretty much looked everywhere and i dont wanna pay more for a high wattage 5x7 when i can get a 6x9 for half the price and have it be a possible easy mod

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i know in my cuzins f150 he just used ten snips and cut the door some to fit them i have a 01 sport trac and the door is mostly hollow so it can be done

What are you pushing the 5x7's with?

you could hook an amp up and push the speakers more

yeah i thought about that but i really dont feel like running more wires than i already have lol, i've ripped that truck apart so many times i lost count lol

well because u riped it apart so many times it should be easy lol but a 6x9 wont make that much diffrence because its how much power is being pushed to the speaker so the only way to get louder would be to install an amp because just the head unit is only pushing 50watts per speaker and i think thats max watts for a head unit hope this helps

If you are running a 50 watt max head unit to the speakers, what good would higher wattage speakers do? Go for some higher sensitivity/lower wattage ones so they'll get louder with less power.

BTW, some 25 watt speakers can get >10x louder than some 1000 watt speakers. Place VERY little faith in power ratings. They really don't mean much (but then, neither do sensitivity ratings). There's no standard by which these things are measured in the automotive world. :mad:

clean your ears out and turn your music down, just kidding. It sohuldnt be that hard cut some of the door and then take some sheet metal strips to make an adapter plate of sorts, good luck and post some pictures.

well the head unit is junk, i can only tune like basic treble and bass to +6 and -6, it doesnt go in depth like some of the Panasonic ones do where u can actually cut all bass from the door speakers and use as a tweeter

5x7's are on my JVC head unit, so like 50 watts a speaker

false...power ratings on HU are all false marketing crap. I still don't believe how many people believe that HU's are "200 watts".

In reality...you that HU can put out probably 15-20 watts. 20 watts being a MAYBE.

you dont need speakers you need an amp to push them thats really all i can say and just because you cant cut the bass off completely doesnt mean anything you can turn it down for the door speakers and have a sub do all the bass thats how mine is set up and all my systems have been and every one always hates that my system sounds better then theirs because all they have is bass or just are not tuning there system

you dont need speakers you need an amp to push them thats really all i can say and just because you cant cut the bass off completely doesnt mean anything you can turn it down for the door speakers and have a sub do all the bass thats how mine is set up and all my systems have been and every one always hates that my system sounds better then theirs because all they have is bass or just are not tuning there system

Jesus that was painful to read.

Use both...

sup guys, i really want to upgrade to 6x9's in replace of the stock size 5x7's in my 93 cuz i just need a bigger speaker cuz the max watts i can get in a 5x7 is 350 max and i want more because i keep going through speakers because i blast all my music lol so ive been wondering if it's possible that i could upgrade (hopefully it's a easy mod) to a 500 watt or more 6x9, is this possible guys? anyone done this custom mod before?

please let me know thanks!

or if anyone can find a higher wattage 5x7 cuz im sure i've pretty much looked everywhere and i dont wanna pay more for a high wattage 5x7 when i can get a 6x9 for half the price and have it be a possible easy mod

I agree, dump the stocks and go with 5x7s or 6x8s in front, AND 6x9s in the rears. The 6x9 puts out a different sound that you'll appreciate. I don't know any of the technicalities involved as to why or how, but they add depth to your sounds... I wouldn't put 6x9s in front and rear (Just my opinion).

Edit: You will likely need to have the area modified slightly for the 6x9s to fit.

Painful...I didn't even care to read it its just one big glob of words...possibly the longest sentence I've read in quite a while.

lol

Buy a decent 4 channel amp, and run that to your speakers and it will make a world of difference. Way more of a difference than just getting bigger speakers would. Just about any aftermarket speaker is going to be better than the stock ones, so you will see a difference, but IMO you'd be better off spending your money on an amp and wiring that up to some entry level aftermarket speakers now. Then if you still want more (and who doesn't always want more) you already have the amp in place. Like I said though, just my opinion. Its your ride though, and you can and should do what you want to do.

Entry level speakers...

Buy a decent 4 channel amp, and run that to your speakers and it will make a world of difference. Way more of a difference than just getting bigger speakers would. Just about any aftermarket speaker is going to be better than the stock ones, so you will see a difference, but IMO you'd be better off spending your money on an amp and wiring that up to some entry level aftermarket speakers now. Then if you still want more (and who doesn't always want more) you already have the amp in place. Like I said though, just my opinion. Its your ride though, and you can and should do what you want to do.

What brands would you recommend? I've never heard of an entry level speaker, except the cheap one that pop and tear when you turn up the volume. My son has a JVC with no amp to his Pioneers...

What's the brand of entry level speakers you could recommend?

Edit

What brands would you recommend? I've never heard of an entry level speaker, except the cheap one that pop and tear when you turn up the volume. My son has a JVC with no amp to his Pioneers...

What's the brand of entry level speakers you could recommend?

(Hey, you guys up there... I understand flaming is not allowed... What are you guys doing?)

Flaming is causing problems for fun, I was just saying that he should read what he writes before he posts it.

And for speaker suggestions I would not go with any particular brand, just find what fits, is within your price range, and is the correct power rating(though power ratings are flexible)
I would suggest you buy from this site as it is a HUGE money saver.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay.. so, lets bring this thread back to speaker talk, and lets try to make our replies clear as daylight so we can all participate in the almost orgasmic, some say religious, experience that is 'ExplorerForum'.

Back