• Register Today It's free!

700r4 stuff

ryf

Reaction score
City, State
Portsmouth, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer XLT 4x4
I have this 700r4 and motor, and I'm wondering if I need anything electronic to run the tranny. from what I remember, its just the throttle cable assembly, but before I go blow a tranny, I thought I'd ask.

bumpity for day crew

If you mean when you put it into an explorer..

You need the TV cable (very important) and the 4th gear lockup switch kit. the 4th gear lockup switch kit goes into the valve body so when the trans goes itno 4th gear you can then tell it to lockup (this is in addition to the adapter kits so things mate together). In general you must have TV cable and some way to tell the converter to lock.. either the computer or the 4th gear lockup switch.

You do have to hook it up to the brake light switch so it will unlock the converter when you hit the brakes.

I also hooked up a switch so I can lock up the converter ins 2nd, and 3rd along with 4th..

The last thing I hooked up to mine was a relay with a capacitor so my tranny cooler fan turns on when the converter is not locked up, and the capacitor keeps it from turning on for about 5 seconds after the converter is unlocked. that way if I am lightly on the brakes and the converter is locking/unlocking/locking etc the electric fan won't be starting up over and over.. it waits for 5 seconds, then starts.. (I used a 38,000 mfd capacitor to keep my relay charged)

Oh yea.. If your putting this into an X (1st gen for sure) you will need to either keep your own tranny solinoids and hook them up Or use two 33 ohm resisters to keep the auto tranny explorer computer happy (It throws a CEL if it can't find the solenoids in the tranny).

~Mark

hmm, cool, I'm not hookin it up to my explorer, I'm building a car, the 4.3 and the 700r4 are going in together, later a 350 will go in.

Back