• Register Today It's free!

700R4 transmission swap ?

BeatExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer sport
I read an old post on this forum and I didnt want to reply to it and drag up a 7 year old post, but i would like to know if this swap will work on my 01 explorer sport 2dr. My current transmission has the common 2-3 flare, o/d light flashing if i dont let off the gas to let it shift out of 2nd without revving up to 3500rpms, and probably some slippage, and i dont want to end up dumping alot of money into it with the extreme likely-hood of the problems recurring with this problematic transmission. Is it easily possible to adapt my vehicle to the 700r4? Is the swap worth it? I dont know anything about the 700r4 either, what are the pro's and cons of this swap? Will I be ok picking up a used one for 200-300 bucks or do i need a rebuilt one? is there a cheaper place to get the adapters? the only place ive found them it totals around $800 just for the 2 adapters needed. If i could pull off the whole thing for 600-700 bucks tops it would be fantastic, as im making about 900 a month right now minus expenses including a $200 car payment on said vehicle with cursed transmission. :scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know how the computer would like not seeing the trans anymore so I can't say if putting in the 700r4 is an option.

The adapter kit is made for a 4.0 ohv motor with a BW 1354 transfer case behind it. If your 2wd you don't need the adapter to go between the trans and transfer case. You would, however, need a custom drive shaft to go between the 700r4 and your rear end.

I do not think the 700r4 is the right option for you. We have about $2k into our conversion and that was just the initial cost. I"ve put more into it over the years to get it just right (still not quite).. and We have 90k miles on this 700r4 and I need to get it worked on.. It appears I broke a sprag.

Also, you must use a 60 degree version of the 700r4. That means it cannot come from a 4.3L or 350ci motor, so its harder to find. If you are 4wd, you need the output shaft changed which comes with the apdater piece for the transfer case. That output shaft is one of the 1st things put into the trans when it is rebuilt.

All in all, your best bet is to get the current trans fixed. I don't trust junk yard transmissions. I'm less leary of them on a vehicle that is freshly brought into the yard for a very obvious problem (like t-boned etc)..

Keep in mind, the more you drive on a broken trans the more likely it gonna cost more to fix..

~Mark

700R4 and their electronic cousin the 4L60E are NOTORIOUS for busting sprags! they are made from cheapo stamped steel. You would be MUCH better off fixing or replacing the original! (unless you want to swap in a 4.3 or a 350 and the computer from ... well nevermind... that is a different thread!)

As far as driving it goes....i work 3-5 days a week, have no other transportation, and dont have the cash to fix it offhand so.....its gonna have to hold on for a bit.. there are plenty of 80's rigs with 2.8s around here and the post i read where someone (jeffo i think) did the swap his computer threw codes but it didnt seem to affect the engine.

The ECM throwing the 3/4 and TCC codes is the least of your issues...

Off the top of my head.. You will need.

60 degree 700r4 that works,
the 4th gear lockup circuit that will auto lockup the converter in 4th gear (goes in the pan)
Shifter (I have a cheap b&m cable one).
If 2wd, custom drive shaft
if 4wd, you need the 2nd adapter kit for trans to transfer case
If your 4wd, you need the output shaft of the trans changed to the one that comes in the kit
Some exhaust pipe so you can modify the y-pipe some
I'd recommend moving the Cat farther down the exhaust to get it away from the trans some
Trans cooler line for a 700r4 and high pressure rubber lines to connect the trans cooler to the lines coming out of the trans.
Really big trans cooler
A low stall 10" torque converter.

Thats what I can remember needing for our conversion.. But it was years ago when we did it.

~Mark

Back