• Register Today It's free!

75w140 Gear Oil

XLT_66

Reaction score
City, State
GO TEXAS TECH
Year, Model & Trim Level
P.O.S. Mitsu Diamante
Well, today i went in and decided to change the rear diffrential oil. The tag on the cover plate said it needed 75w140 synthetic oil ONLY....i was like, ok, sure whatever.

I went to Pepboys....the have never heard of the stuff
Went to Vans, theydidn't carry it
Went to O'Rielly's, they didn't have it.

There was only one place in town that has the stuff, and guess what it cost me.

OVER $17 a quart!!!!!

I was so pissed, every other gear oil, like 70w90 was like $2...and this was so expensive

Why does this kind cost so much?

Is this for every year of Explorer...? Or just the 96 or something...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, I use the gear oil from the dealer. And it's $17. It's expensive, but good stuff. Think about it, how often do you change it? So is it worth the expense if you know that's what it needs and does best with?

Originally posted by XLT_66

Is this for every year of Explorer...? Or just the 96 or something...

It is for certain axle ratios (3.73 & 4.10) and for all 5.0L Explorers according to my 97 owner's guide. The guide also says "Rear axles containing synthetic lubricant are lubricated for life"

No flames, I'm just quoting the owner's guide.

napa has 86w-140 which i use and it only costs about 3.oo dollars per quart. this weight is not really that much different than 75w-140.

My '99 calls for....

Rear Axle Fluid Type Rear Axle

Conventional SAE 80W-90 Rear Axle, Traction-Lok 75W-140 Synthetic Note: Axles using synthetic lubricants are considered lubricated for life. These lubricants are not to be checked or changed unless due to a leak, repair service or submergence in water occurs

I use Mobil 1 75w90 and change yearly; works well for me,.

Originally posted by aldive

I use Mobil 1 75w90 and change yearly; works well for me,.

This seems to be pretty conservative. Axle lube doesn't have the same contamination issues that engine oil has. And gearboxes don't have the same band /clutch wear that auto trans units have. (A notable exception would be the Control Trac transfer case with the electronic clutch).

Do they offer gear oil analysis? If you did this I would bet that you would find that syn gear oil is good for at least 100K.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't change every year if that's what makes you feel good, but it doesn't seem consistent with running the engine oil for 15K.

My 99 SOHC with 4.1 rear calls for the 75-140 also. I plan to change it at 100k or 5 years, regardless that Ford says its lubed for life. I wonder what Ford considers life anyway? I plan to use the Ford oil as the only option is Amsoil. Someone told me Amsoil makes the Ford 75-140 anyway, but I am not sure of this.

The FX4 also requires 75w-140. I found that the Amsoil stuff is cheaper than the Ford stuff and doesn't require the friction modifier. I had to change mine when I installed the SVO cover.

--Sean

Originally posted by dogfriend

This seems to be pretty conservative.

Do they offer gear oil analysis? If you did this I would bet that you would find that syn gear oil is good for at least 100K..

Quite possible.

Yes, the rear end oil can be analyzed' I think I shall do it shortly.

Thanks for the idea.

I just put in 75W-140 Amsoil in mine last night. I can't remember what it cost but it was by the liter. I am sure it was cheaper than 17.00 a Quart.

I'll do a writeup after a while to tell everyone if it induces any affects. 75W-140 is actually NOT what my Manual calls for, but it's an axle and should be close enough.

Back