8/22/2015: Redcone | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

8/22/2015: Redcone

Post #5 says he drove up in a stock Rubi just fine:
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums...e-Radical-Saints-John-8-7&p=290159#post290159
So a stock Explorer would have to be smart about their lines but shouldn't have too much problem. And I have MaxTrax to build ramps over rocks, and a winch if it comes to that.

Brian has been up it recently and said "the lower part" (the part in the trees) has gotten really rocky but didn't say it was any harder. I did it last year with a long wheelbase 4 door Taco and it was his first "hard" trail.

I'll leave it open to the group. If you say no, then you need to provide an alternate trail.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm trying like hell to get this repair to happen in time. Getting paid today, getting the part after work, (If I still have a job, not even sure on that at the moment) a member on FR4x4 in Frederick has a trans jack he is willing to let me borrow, so depending on when I can pick that up, whether or not I'm working the next couple days, (oh ya, and the jerk scheduled me for this saturday even though I requested it off well before the schedule was out) whether this repair goes smoothly etc. etc. It's a toss up at this point if I can make it. If I dont get it done in time to make it, it will be the disappointment of the year for me for sure. And you guys have all the explorer experience, if you say 2" lift and 31's w/ open diffs will make it, then I'm not worried about it and I trust your judgement. Lots of what if's and unknowns at the moment, and even though flying by the seat of my pants is what I do best, I got fingers crossed and a rabbits foot here just in case........

Been in flat Texas all week, can't wait to get up in the mountains!

So what's the official count of vehicles?

Looks like I'm out. I wasn't able to get with the gentleman that is letting me borrow his tranny jack, and my super thoughtful, considerate, loving boss is not budging on the day off, (even though I've never worked a Saturday yet, and I requested the day well before the schedule was made). There's a slight chance this leak is just from an O-ring in the line that connects to the slave cylinder, but givin my run of luck, I highly doubt it. Looks like I get to chalk this one up to yet another raging disappointment. I can't express enough how much I really needed this, but higher powers apparently aren't ready to cut me a break yet. Have good time and be safe, I'll be watching for the pictures.

might as well never count me in until you see me at the trailhead.

We're looking at other trails but wish you guys a great time on Red Cone!

Redcone was great!
12-M.png

13-M.png

Wow, that looks like an amazing road! I'm jealous. This is going on my to do list now for sure.

Thanks for the pictures. Keep them coming if you have more

Here is a few more

This gives a good idea of the incline;
5-M.png

Tom working the MaxTrax
3-M.png

Very cool run up to the summit
9-M.png

There was a lot of traffic so we had to wait at a lower area before climbing to the summit. A long way down!
10-M.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks like a fun trail, will def be on my list in the future too! ... sad to have missed it but i had a good camping trip anyway... flogged my friend's v8 4runner up some rocky forest service trails by aspen, having those extra cylinders felt nice but i still prefer my lil explorer :)

Back