8.8" mini spool...c-clips won't go in.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

8.8" mini spool...c-clips won't go in....

Gone Jeepin

Reaction score
City, State
Danville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Jeep ZJ
Ok so I'm putting the mini spool in my 8.8 with disks. The axles won't push in far enough to get the c-clips in. I called randy's r&p and they told me to grind the c-clip sides down a little in order to get though the slot for the mini spool. It'd be about 1/8" on each side of the c-clip to get it in. A few other people said grinding the c-clips is a bad idea. Does anyone have a mini spool in their 8.8 and if so how'd you get the c-clips in?
-Nate

Grinding the c-clips wont hurt them as long as you don't take it too far. Their only purpose is to prevent the axle from exiting the vehicle, and they aren't under any significant load (especially on the disc brake model). I'd try grinding them at an angle (remove more material from the ends near the opening than in the center of the clip) until you can get them to slip into place.

yeah thanks, I just had to get them to slide through the slots of the mini spool, they just weren't big enough. Anyway, didn't have to take too much off it worked really nicely actually. I realize the c-clip isn't under much stress, BUT it's still a part you don't want to have fail.
-Nate

Back