80mm MAF Sensor for SOHC V6 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

80mm MAF Sensor for SOHC V6

i'm lazy......bottom line are there any gains going to larger MAF? If so would I need to get with James to modify my tune?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Increasing MAF sensor size

i'm lazy......bottom line are there any gains going to larger MAF? If so would I need to get with James to modify my tune?

If the max airflow is close to pegging the stock MAF sensor then its worth increasing the size and retuning. Otherwise, the gains aren't worth the cost and effort. Unless you've installed high flow heads or a blower you don't need to be concerned.

I think asked the wrong question. Is there any gains using the stock MAF with a larger MAF sensor tube?

minimal reduction in flow restriction

Using a larger than stock housing would result in minimal (probably not measurable) reduction in flow restriction that might increase fuel economy and max power. Increasing the diameter would require retuning and in my opinion not worth the cost. The money would be better spent on a high flow, high filtration air filter.

Ditto, only make the change as part of a bigger group of changes, because the new PCM tuning will be needed.

So go to a bigger MAF only if you were going to need reprogramming anyway.

Back