The Little TJ that could
Reaction score
City, State
Pattaya, Chonburi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Toyota Fortuner
Callsign
KG7MXH
What are some of the pro's & con's of the TTB compared to the '98+ IFS in regards to aftermarket lift kits and SAS's?

I know there are quite a few lift kits for the TTB, but how about for the IFS?

Which one would you rather do a SAS on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the TTB would be easier to do the SAS on just because you fon't have to source a steering box and fab in a mount for it as you would on the IFS. From what I have read in the past, there is a lot more involved when doing a SAS on an IFS model. Lots more stuff to cut off and get out of the way. However, If your looking at going full hydro steering and coil overs, I would select the IFS over the TTB.

I had this discussion with Stico in pretty good detail at a truckhaven run, basically it's just installing a steering box on a 2nd gen vs. doing a sas on a 1st gen.

I don't know enough about the SOHC motor to not like it, but the idea of 25% more hp out of the box on the newer IFS trucks may make that reason to try that out.

And for what it's worth, I've talked myself out of buying a sport trac a couple of times to swap my axles under.

I had this discussion with Stico in pretty good detail at a truckhaven run, basically it's just installing a steering box on a 2nd gen vs. doing a sas on a 1st gen.

I think you mean 4th gen vs 3rd gen and down.

IFS came out in 1998 with the 4th gen Rangers.
  • First generation (1983–1988) - TTB
  • Second generation (1989–1992) - TTB
  • Third generation (1993–1997) - TTB
  • Fourth generation (1998–present) - IFS

I don't know enough about the SOHC motor to not like it, but the idea of 25% more hp out of the box on the newer IFS trucks may make that reason to try that out.

Yes I like the extra power of the SOHC vs OHV.

yes, I did, I was thinking exploder generations, not Ranger even though I saw this was in the Ranger forum. To make issues more confusing there is a few years of IFS w/ OHV in exploders as well.

Are all 4th gen Rangers SOHC?

So are you going to reveal what you have up your sleeve?

As for "stock running gear lifts" in a IFS you don't really gain any travel unless you spend some serious money, in TTB you can gain travel with the proper lift kit. Now that I have done more "exploring" on the faster terrain and realizing that it the 6" skyjacker or superlift(TTB) or 4" Trailmaster or Superlift (IFS) just isn't going to cut it for my liking, an advanced lift kit for either application will cost you $3k+. Dixson Bros. kit widens the track width and is tested and true, much to my liking but it comes with a price.

Remember, I've owned a short armed (full drop bracket) TTb kit, coil sprung solid axle with decent shocks and now the autofab ttb truck. Maybe I wouldn't be so biased if I purchased extended radius arms on my first TTB lift, but everything seemed to break and that truck was all over the road.

I guess no matter what it is you do with a truck somebody is always going to be bigger faster stronger. I have not seen a long travel 4wd in the terrain that we see our guys running but am very impressed with what I see on the sand, then again, I see very few Explorers or Rangers going up the waterfalls and rock faces that these guys with 40" sticky's are running either.

If i were to do a solid front axle, I'd model it after DB1s, the last few times I've seen that truck in action it has kicked ass in every aspect of the wheeling and then he drives it home.

Back