86 STX

glfredrick

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
86-98 Ranger STX
Here is my 86 Ranger STX 4x4. It is sure an ugly truck right now, but it works!

I have added some home-brewed suspension modifications to allow it to flex somewhat in the rock and dirt. Parts already done include 3" of rear lift, 2" of front lift (spacers) and long travel shocks. I am in process of replacing the cab mounts with Duff parts and adding a 1" body lift for just a bit more stuff clearance.

Future modifications include F250 shock mounts in the front with even longer front shocks. Re-mounting the rear shocks on top of the spring anger mounts (through the bed on a hoop) for better individual wheel control. Custom built rear spring hangers with a dual shackle arrangement that can be pinned closed for the street. Long radius arms with a custom ticked transmission mount, and making a tube bumper for the front that helps to hold teh frame more rigin and allows for a better approach angle.

In the motor department, I have added a K&N, polished the 58mm throttle body, advanced the distributor curve, added a higher rate fuel pressure regulator, and have also done some electrical work to insure a good spark. It revs freely to redline and beyond, but that reminds me that I really need to add a rev limiter. The truck pulls hard throughout the RPM range (or at least now that I have replaced almost every sensor under the hood!). Future mods include headers and true dual exhaust, cam, hogged out intake with phenolic spacers (I have found a supply and am making my own.), and perhaps the lifer spacer mod (if I can find a copy of Sven's book detailing the method and measurment.

I have gained clearence for the Kuhmo Venture (GREAT TIRES!!!) 31x11.50 tires on American 29's aluminum 15x8.5 by cutting and flaring the fenders. The rears turned out nice, the fronts are still in progress and may look different by time I am finished. BTW, did you know that with judicious application of a small torch with a flame spreader that the factory inner fender liners will stretch to fit cut fenders? Try it -- it works! I am also rolling the edges to stop any potential tire cutting.

Interior is stock with the addition of a Pioneer high-powered stereo and 8" boxes behind the seats (for tha back massage effect). I have added a fire extinguisher and some other things that make for safe off-roading, and am also in process of adding some extra gauges to keep track of my motor and transmission.

I like to fabricate my own parts. I have a fairly well-equipped shop (inside a tool shed of all places!) and have air, welder, torches, all the drilling and grinding stuff, and hand tools from 30+ years of building rides. I like to experiment and design new parts that work without spending tons of money for bolt on parts that dissapoint. With a background in engineering, it is no big problem to figure out something new, but I also look to see what others are doing. No sense in reinventing the wheel...

Check out a small photo album of the truck here...
http://community.webshots.com/user/glfredrick

I also have a 97 Explorer for my wife to drive. We try to keep this one clean, but one day... :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome, pastor!

Nice to see a truck being used, and nice to see you wheeling in the snow!

PS Nothing wrong with an ugly truck, check my signature. ;)

Thanks for the good words and welcome. This is a nice clean forum with good useable information.

As for the snow running, that day was nothing compared to what I am used to from my home in Central Wisconsin. There we could have drifts as high as 10 feet sometimes, and I was a professional driver - had to go out everyday no matter what the weather. Made for some interesting days... Especially in the hills of Western Wisconsin.

I recall several incidents of folding in the side mirrors on a 1992 Freightliner bulk milk truck! (Talk about wheelin' - that one had a fully locked 8x8 out back and would walk glare ice hills!) :redexp:

glfredrick: how does one go about polishing the TB? also was wondering how to advance the distributor curve? are there any decent aftermarket TBs that are larger? thanks oh, and do you have a K&N drop in or the entire intake?

Let me see if I can help you as this thread is about 3 years old

the 1986 model of the 2.9L V6 had a larger throttle body then other years.
You can knife edge the front lip of the throttle body with a dremmel and sandpaper. In theory this will help the air flow through the TB without stumbling.
You can clean the TB using carb cleaner. Search fort hat on this site, as you do not want to mess anything up.

The 2.9L has a distributor just like most older engines. Turning the distributor will advance the base timing. It is not needed unless you already have breathing mods (intake/exhaust), you have added fuel (adjustable fuel pressure regulator) and also spark (MSD 6A and blaster coil)

These are basic engine mods for making more power. "tuning" is a fine art, when all the modifications are combined advancing the timing a bit, running a colder plug, getting more fuel/spark/air will make more power.

Back