885 Fog light bulbs in stock housing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

885 Fog light bulbs in stock housing

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you have run the 885 fog light bulbs in the stock housing (square foglight on my 97 ex)? They are 50w vs. the stock 35w 899 bulbs. I just dont want to buy them and find out they are too hot for the stock housing or that my stock wiring isnt enough to run them. Also, whats the difference between a 899 and a 893 bulb? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will need to do something with the wiring, but somewhere on here is directions to wire in new lights to run off the stock switch. I was going to run new lights but I have since ditched the bumper valance.

edit: i read that quickly thinking you wanted to put new lights in, not new bulbs.

I have been digging online for a while about swapping the bulb in my 96 rectangle fogs. As for the wattage difference, I don't think I have read about any problems from it.

I have been considering GE Nighthawk bulbs.
http://www.amazon.com/GE-893NH-BP2-..._1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1330477098&sr=1-1

51YZqNf61DL._SS500_.jpg

As for the wattage difference, I don't think I have read about any problems from it.

I know if you switch to a new light with a 55w bulb its recommended you rework the wiring, or use a relay because that is too much to push through the stock wires, and you wont get full output either. To me it seems like putting a 55 watt bulb in the stock housing/wiring which is for setup for 35 watt would be similar, then again I have no personal experience with this.

899 top - 893 bottom
13571.jpg
13569.jpg

Image courtesy of http ://www.bulbs.com

Those would be safe, the watts are the same. It is just a better light output,much like you see with the silverstar ultras

Hmmm. It's been a while since I researched replacements for the 899 bulb, so take any of my info with caution.

Research the differences in bulbs between 880 through 899.

I think they are mostly similar in shape or base, but can be modded to work in place of others in that number range.

Some of the choices are 50-55 watt.

I think I will probably just stick with the 899's then. I wish phillips made some x treme powers in this bulb but I will probably go with those Nighthawks. They seem like a pretty good bulb. I do still need to modify it so I can keep my fog lights on with my high beams and park lights though.

Back