Subwoofer Replacement - Mach System. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Subwoofer Replacement - Mach System.

Faster Life

Reaction score
City, State
MPLS
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' EB SOHC 4.0
99' EB SOHC 4.0 Stock Sub-woofer REPLACEMENT using STOCK enclosure:

Hey guys,

I know many people have already written tons of testimony regarding replacement of the stock sub-woofer found in those JBL and Mach stereo systems. While I've looked through lots of forums, I still haven't found all the answers I'm looking for. I'll be removing the old sub tomorrow, then I can't do anything until I figure the rest of this stuff out. I'll list my questions below:

1. I've read a lot of guys went with an 8" JL. I'm assuming the 8W1? I'm also looking at a Kicker SVComp. I want to make sure these subs will fit in the enclosure before I buy, and by fit I mean the completed job looks the same from the outside as the stock, with all the panels and grill back in there place. Does anyone know the depth of the enclosure?

2. I've heard mix reviews about using the stock sub-woofer's amp. The 8W1 can handle a wide range of power, so I'm hoping the stock amp will be enough. Of course it's a matter of preference, but I want to "feel" the sub, so I'm assuming replacement of the "crap amp" might be necessary. I also read somewhere that the stock amp only produces 15 watts, but after seeing a pic, it's gotta produce more then that. Maybe 100 watts? Does anybody know what it produces?

3. If the stock amp does need to be replaced, can you use the aftermarket amp with same connection and power cable as the stock amp? I assume the head-unit doesn't have a preamp, and I am really hoping a smaller aftermarket amp will work off the stock amp's power supply. I'm not good at, or interested in running a bunch of new wires, and figuring out how to get the amp connected to the head-unit.

4. If you have a completed job, what are you're thoughts about it? Is it worth the replacement, and how is performance and reliability? My goal is just to get a strong bass presence in the truck, without using a separate enclosure.

I know I'll figure out more about whats going on as I rip into this, but any advice towards getting this done right would really help. I hoping to keep my total budget in the $200 range.

If you know what's going on with this situation, PLEASE HELP!

Thanks!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

Thanks Sams, hopefully this Forum will be a good resource for my Explorer. I love it, and know I can get another 100k out of it!

I wanted to say that the speaker replacement was a success, and I recommend any music lover replaces the sub, whether it is blown or not. The music now sounds much more full, and you can actually get a lot of bass response from this setup. (For 1 8" sub-woofer anyways.) Here are relevant stats and pictures about the replacement.

Stock Sub Amp: 85 watts RMS @ 4 ohms
Replacement Sub: JL audio 8w1v2 (power range is perfect for amp, 50 to 100 RMS)
- DO NOT buy a sub with a larger mounting depth; It will not fit!

IMG00024-20100501-2002.jpg

- Enclosure removed, installed new sub.

IMG00025-20100501-2011.jpg

- Used Peel & Seal (works as Dynamat substitute) along wall behind enclosure. This removed rattles and improved overall sound.

IMG00019-20100425-1946.jpg

- Enclosure installed.

IMG00023-20100501-2002.jpg

- Jackassed Help... :)

Total Cost: about $100 (includes sub, peel & seal, and hex socket we didn't have)

It was well worth the $, and time involved!!!

Faster Life you seem to have the only positive experience with replacing the sub and keeping the factory amp. Everyone seems to be trying to recommend a larger sub + amp + head unit. My truck is rarely driven, and I just want a nice working sub, and I like keeping the stock look. I have been trying to choose between the Jl 8W1v2 that you used, or the JL 8W3v3 with hopes of upgrading the amp, and possibly head unit, later. So, after having that sub for almost 1 year (basing that off of your post date), how do you like it? Would you recommed that I do the same? I figured $70 for that sub is not a bad deal, and if doesn't work, shouldn't be too hard to sell.

Thanks in advance.

Faster Life you seem to have the only positive experience with replacing the sub and keeping the factory amp. Everyone seems to be trying to recommend a larger sub + amp + head unit. My truck is rarely driven, and I just want a nice working sub, and I like keeping the stock look. I have been trying to choose between the Jl 8W1v2 that you used, or the JL 8W3v3 with hopes of upgrading the amp, and possibly head unit, later. So, after having that sub for almost 1 year (basing that off of your post date), how do you like it? Would you recommed that I do the same? I figured $70 for that sub is not a bad deal, and if doesn't work, shouldn't be too hard to sell.

Thanks in advance.

Hey BlackJoker.

I just replaced my stock sub for the Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW800F. It has a lower sensitivity than the Jl but still bumps pretty hard. The Jl would seem like the better choice, but I went for the more expensive kenwood and it sounds great. With the stock 85w RMS amp.

Here is a little video I made before putting the rear panel back on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsPsp4h6EFY

By the way I bought my Kenwood sub on Ebay for 90 bucks.

I'm tearing into mine this weekend. My stock woofer is blown and although the crackiling sounds pretty cool, it must go! I still am undecided on which speaker to use and not knowing anything about systems I'll probably just piggyback off your sucess and use the Jl 8W1v2 but I would like to find something cheaper (any Ideas?), trucks not worth that much! I'll keep you posted!

I'm tearing into mine this weekend. My stock woofer is blown and although the crackiling sounds pretty cool, it must go! I still am undecided on which speaker to use and not knowing anything about systems I'll probably just piggyback off your sucess and use the Jl 8W1v2 but I would like to find something cheaper (any Ideas?), trucks not worth that much! I'll keep you posted!

85 dollars free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JL-AUDIO-8W...Enclosures&hash=item45fdc52824#ht_4525wt_1180

That is not a bad deal. And you will be amazed by what the 85 watt rms amp can do to this jl audio sub. If you download bassy songs you will be shocked at the depth, it has to sound better than my Kenwood due to the fact that it has a higher sensitivity requiring less watts for more volume.

I know my kenwood sounds super in this stock enclosure with the stock amp. I tried to test it out with some of the bassiest songs I could find on the internet which is pretty much anything and I was shocked at what a 8" sub could do in my truck for sound quality, I didn't break any windows, but I could easily rattle my review mirrow with good sound quality. Its very worth the upgrade I did everything in less than a hour, and pulled it back out cause I hooked the speaker wires up backwards. There are two speaker wires going to the stock sub, one is white and one is black, well the black is positive and the white is negative in my 1999 mercury mountaineer. And there is a screw that screws into the back of the stock magnet when you unscrew that you will have to plug that hole when you put the new sub in. I went to true value and bought a little rubber plug and wedged it in there. Worked a charm.

This tutorial will help you a bunch for how to take it apart. Not everything was the same for me but close enough that it made the job very easy for me.

I posted a bunch of stuff in this thread towards the end. Its only 5 pages you should read it before you start.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292595

Got it all apart, man that stock speaker is just tore up! Someone thought they were in a music contaest with this thing!

Questions - That insulation pad thingy thats inside the enclosure, shoud I leave it in there? and is the black wire positive on all of them?

Got it all apart, man that stock speaker is just tore up! Someone thought they were in a music contaest with this thing!

Questions - That insulation pad thingy thats inside the enclosure, shoud I leave it in there? and is the black wire positive on all of them?

Sorry I know how it is when no one answers after you have it all tore apart. I posted for help and no one was around to answer me. I was like damn it and put it all back together and did stuff wrong. Anyway I know there are only 2 wires going to the subwoofer on mine, and they were white and black. The black was positive and the white was negative. Then there is the filling in the enclosure, I just left mine in there(most people are filling their enclosure with polyfil from walmart). I also bought a rubber plug from True Value hardware to plug that hole where the screw that went into the stock speaker magnet is. Hope this helps.

Is the Black wire a larger plug(then it's positive)? And the White smaller(negative)? My black wire was larger(positive), You know on most speakers(door speakers), there is a smaller and larger plug. I'm confusing myself I just woke up. Good luck.

Thanks Tommy, i guess I should've read your link first. It answered pretty much all of my questions except why stuff the enclosure? what does that do? is there a difference between that and leaving the stock filler in?

Thanks Tommy, i guess I should've read your link first. It answered pretty much all of my questions except why stuff the enclosure? what does that do? is there a difference between that and leaving the stock filler in?

Not much of a difference with a 8" sub.

What polyfill does is slow the sound wave coming off the back of the speaker. Slower sound waves means more time for them to hit the inside edge of the box and come back to the speaker (in a sealed enclosure). This makes the box perform like a slightly larger box which results in better low frequency extension.

Ok, just found a friend that giving me a 10" sub to use. How hard is it to fit it in the stock enclosure? Anybody got any pics? Will the stock amp be ok with it? again, I'm not looking to win any competitions or anything. Is it too much of a pain, should I just use an 8"? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ok, just found a friend that giving me a 10" sub to use. How hard is it to fit it in the stock enclosure? Anybody got any pics? Will the stock amp be ok with it? again, I'm not looking to win any competitions or anything. Is it too much of a pain, should I just use an 8"? any help would be greatly appreciated!

There have been a few people who put a 10" in the stock enclosure. Just modify it to fit, drill new holes, make sure the magnet will have enough room. You might need a spacer. Then check the rms on the speaker make sure it isnt too high for the stock 85w rms amp. My amp is 85w and my 8" kenwood is rated for 150. And it sounds pretty good.

Make your decision from there. If I were you I would pick up this speaker. Fits really good and has been tested with the stock amp over and over again.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1368W1V24/JL-Audio-8W1v2-4.html?tp=111

Or: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JL-AUDIO-8W...Enclosures&hash=item45fdc52824#ht_4525wt_1180

If money is the problem just use the 10" you got from a friend and make it fit. You will be fine. ;)

...as long as the 10" sub is a shallow sub- not a lot of room back there.

Leave the stock jute in there, or use the poly- it's like $3 a bag at WalMart in the craft section. I used the poly so I could push more up front too. Night and day difference with and without polyfil...

...as long as the 10" sub is a shallow sub- not a lot of room back there.

Leave the stock jute in there, or use the poly- it's like $3 a bag at WalMart in the craft section. I used the poly so I could push more up front too. Night and day difference with and without polyfil...

Hey Joe, I must be crazy. After all this, and wanting to stay mostly stock. I'm picking up a JL Audio 12w6 this weekend(in a ported box), and I'm just about ready to order a Jl Audio 500/1 amp(trying to decide whether or not the v2 is worth and extra 200 dollars).

Does that polyfil really work better than the stock juke?

Ok, Think I'm going to buy the JL. The one he gave me is a sony Xplod.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11259_Sony-XS-L100P5W.html

I think it's overkill for this application. Besides, with the modifications (nice to see someone not use the word "mods") needed to fit it I just don't think it's worth it.

Al and Eds is an authorized dealer of JL products as well. I used the jute and polyfill (its now $3.97 at Wally World) for a smaller bag than Joe used...inflation fluff. "Modding" the stock box for a 10" looked like fitment probs, but I did cut out the Sport rear door speaker holders to fit 6x9's. The 6x8/5x7 Kenwoods that I had look dinky in comparison to the 6x9's-Definitely more bass and worth the hassle in my opinion. I wanted to keep this "mod" inexpensive. Inexpensive is all relative. Ended up adding dynamat, changing rear speakers, and way too much time. If money was not an object I would have bought the MTX 10" enclosure made for the cubbyhole. And as Tommy said, Joe Dirts writeup, help, and stock subwoofer enclosure was immensely helpful (my Ex didnt have the JBL option). Joe is like the solo Crutchfield for the Explorer forum, sales and technical service after the sale! Heh Heh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally got my sub today, GOnne get the poly from Walmarket tonight. I'll post an udate tomorrow if I get it installed!

Oh, BTW sorry to Jack the thread from you Fasterlife.

Back