91 Explorer Manual Hub Conversion HELP!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 Explorer Manual Hub Conversion HELP!!!

Reaction score
City, State
Walla Walla, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
I just picked up a 91 Explorer (for parts) that the previous owner had converted from automatic hubs to Warn Manual Hubs. I want to take the manual hubs off and put them on my 94 Explorer that has automatic hubs that don't work. My problem is I can't figure out how to get the outsite spindle nut off. I've already got the snap ring and the axle shaft spacer off, now the next thing to come off is the outer spindle nut. I'm using a 1/2 ratchet and a piece of pipe on the end of the ratchet for extra leverage and the darn nut will not budge!!!! I don't see any pins or anything between the nut and the spindle preventing it from spinning. Is there a trick to getting this thing off? Have I missed something? I'm afraid if I pry on it any harder I'm gonna break something. Should I just pry as hard as I can until it comes off? Is it just stuck or something? I know some of you have done this conversion before so can one of you guys help me out? Thanks...

Lance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It doesn't seem like it should be as tight as it is. Like I said I'm using a 2' piece of pipe on the end of my ratchet as a cheater bar and it won't budge. Is it normal for it to be that tight? If I didn't know better I'd swear it was welded on, but I know it's not. I've put a heck of alot of torque on the wrench, short of jumping up and down on the ratchet. Ok, I guess I'll just keep trying....

Also, there's about a 1" gap between the outer spindle nut and the inner spindle nut. The outer spindle nut is on the end of the spindle. Question....what is the purpose of the outer spindle nut? It doesn't look like it has a purpose? Does it connect to something inside the hub when you lock in the hub? What function does it have? I can see the inner spindle nut holds the rotor on the spindle via the bearing, but what about the outer nut? What does it do?

That sounds like it got crossthreaded when they put it on and it got jammed.

The inner nut is supposed to set preload on the bearing then a perforated washer then the outer nut gets ran up against it and tightened to like 150 ft lbs or so. The outer nut is just a lockout to keep the inner one from loosening.

Is there anyway you could get a picture of it and we can tell you what's wrong.

Just go buy a new set of nuts, they're not that much.

Well I took some pictures last night, but was having trouble loading it onto my computer. So tonight after work I thought to myself, "what the hell, i'll just give it all I got and whatever i break I'll just have to fix it". So instead of using the 2' piece of pipe, I used a 4' piece of pipe on the end of my ratchet. Finally, after putting all my weight (185 lbs) on the pipe and bouncing up and down on it, something finally broke loose. I thought I broke my ratchet or the nubs on the hub socket, but as luck would have it (for a change) the nut finally broke loose and I was able to get it off. Then as I unscrewed the inner spindle nut, as it got to the end of the spindle, it got really hard and I had to use a cheater pipe on the ratchet again but it came off. Seem like some dumb ass screwed up the threads on the spindle. However, upon inspection the threads seem fine and I can't see where the problem is. Nonetheless, I got the nuts off and I thank you guys for your help. Now for the passenger side tomorrow...

Back