91 X Manual Transmission Flush Concerns | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 X Manual Transmission Flush Concerns

klesk32

Reaction score
City, State
Ketchikan Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer Sport
There has to be another thread on this somewhere, and if there is I will admit my mistake sheepishly. I read that if there is brown or burned smelling transmission fluid in my manual trans I should not flush because it will cause the clutch to slip. Can someone either confirm or refute this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is a debate about auto trannys, which some people buy into, and others not so much. Never heard about it for manual trannys.

CHANGE NOW! Those rules do not apply. You clutch does not touch oil (it would be bad if it did).

Pull the fill plug (make sure you can remove it). Then pull the drain plug. Both are located towards the rear on the drivers side of the transmission and labeled. Clean off the drain plug as it is a magnet. Replace and tighten, fill with with Mercon ATF until it runs out the fill plug, replace and tighten and keep on going.

Thanks for the clear answer, you guys rock!

There is a debate about whether or not using anything other than Dexron III/Mercon ATF affects the manual trannys though. Lots of people that have used Mercon V (the semi-synthetic replacement for Mercon) report poor shift performance with Mercon V and have gone back to regular or synthetic Dex/Merc ATF. You may want to just buy the Dex/Merc anyway, it's inexpensive and can be bought in gallon sizes, which is perfect to fill the tranny with, especially if you buy the cheap pump for the gallon jug, so you can just fill the trans up from below rather than using the tube & funnel method or using a turkey baster.

Get the gallon and do the transfer case at the same time. You have to pull the round counterweight at the back to get to te drain plug.

There has to be another thread on this somewhere, and if there is I will admit my mistake sheepishly. I read that if there is brown or burned smelling transmission fluid in my manual trans I should not flush because it will cause the clutch to slip. Can someone either confirm or refute this?

My fluid looked like this when I first got mine. I changed the fluid.

CHANGE NOW! Those rules do not apply. You clutch does not touch oil (it would be bad if it did).

Pull the fill plug (make sure you can remove it). Then pull the drain plug. Both are located towards the rear on the drivers side of the transmission and labeled. Clean off the drain plug as it is a magnet. Replace and tighten, fill with with Mercon ATF until it runs out the fill plug, replace and tighten and keep on going.

You could also pull the 4 torx bolts on the shifter with the fill plug removed and fill that way. Just have a drain pan handy to catch the overfill.

You could also pull the 4 torx bolts on the shifter with the fill plug removed and fill that way. Just have a drain pan handy to catch the overfill.

Very true. Never though of that! :thumbsup:

Back