'91 X won't start with key and rough idle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'91 X won't start with key and rough idle

meanmudder

Reaction score
City, State
Englewood,Fla
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer
:confused: I've searched a few hours and couldn't really get the answer I needed
I just got a 91 X 4x4 with 165k and it started fine for a couple weeks then it wouldn't start with the key I had to jump the sylenoid posts ,I started wiggling wires and fuses to see if anything was lose and it started with the key ,that lasted a couple days know it won't start with the key again ,i have to jump the sylenoid did all the wire wiggling but didn't work this time. Anyone have the same problem or is there a starter relay somewhere?
second problem is it had a miss when I got it thought it would be the plugs so I changed them,then the wires,cleaned the mas as per this forum but still has a rough idle until about 1800 rpm then smoothes out ,real strong (rich) exhaust smell and occasoinal puff of white smoke and about 10 mpg
i haven't been thru everything yet as I was hoping to get some help or advice first Any help will be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a starter relay - mounted on the inner fender - follow the + cable from the battery and you should find it - it is round, has input and output terminals and a signal terminal (smaller wire sends key switch signal)

On the rough idle - sounds like poor air fuel ratio - fuel injection system is not working properly - could have many causes. Need to check for codes and proceed from there.

thanks for the reply but I think the relay your refering to is the same thing I'm calling the starter sylenoid which I can start by crossing the two post as long as the key is in the on position but the engine wont turn over with the key.I don't get a click or anything when i turn the key to the start position but the radio does power off like it does when it did start with the key
As far as codes I ran a scanner and didn't get any codes back

soounds like the ignition switch , on the column , pull the covers off the steering column and you will see it , they sometimes seperate , don't know about the rough idle , I have a problem with mine also , but the rich running may be a bad fuel preasure regulator , another easy fix ,it is on the fuel rail ,

I had the starting problem with my ex last summer, replaced the relay on the fender well, but it turned out to be the starter was bad, would only engage when it felt like it!

Back