92 2wd auto trans stuck in 1st gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 2wd auto trans stuck in 1st gear

joedirt12345

Reaction score
City, State
Midvale
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer xlt 4x4
Callsign
Joedirt
STORY: I was sitting in my truck letting the battery charge and I revved the motor and it wouldn't rev above about 2500rpm and then all at once it lurched forward and I stood on the brakes and shut off the truck and when i did that my left front flexible brakeline got a hole in it i already have that covered but im not sure about my tranny

SYMPTOMS: it is in park and starts in first gear same thing with neutral, when its in reverse it's first gear. The likage to the tranny is fine when I move the lever on the column the lever on the trans moves but the kickdown lever doesn't move any help would be much appreciated :)

VEHICLE SPECS:1992 4dr 4.0L efi v6 automatic trans with overdrive and its running 31 10.50 tires

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dang just found out today that if I can't fix it then I have to sell it

Set the parking brake, climb under the vehicle, and check the connection on the shift cable. If the cable is still connected, then the next step is to try to move the shift arm manually. If it feels funny, then it's possible that the internal Z link either bent or got disconnected.

I've had the z-link come off the rooster comb before.

Basically, when that happens you loose the link between the outside of the trans to the inside of the trans. That means whatever gear the trans was in when that happened is where is still is. When you put the truck in park the parking prawl is being set which should stop it from moving.

I don't think I've heard of it happening on a never touched trans. Transmissions that have been rebuilt or had the valve body touched are the ones that seem to have the problem. It seems to be caused by the keeper on the z-link being re-used.

~Mark

Back