• Register Today It's free!

92 Exp ... Shift Kit? Modulator?

Slicef96

Reaction score
City, State
Huntersville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Eddie Bauer
I have a 92 Exp E/B 4wd auto. It has gone beyond slipping. It feels like there is no first gear. When she is cold it appears to be out of gear but when I hit the gas it starts to move at about 3000 RPMs. Once she is warm, I think she is starting in second. If I drop it in to first I can feel it kick down. I have done a full flush followed by a pan drop and filter. This helped a Little ... LITTLE! My first thoughts are valves.

I thought about adding a shift kit not for performance but to tighten the flow of fluid (or can I just rebuild the valves to factory spec for the same prive as a $20 Transgo kit?) Now in reading I see that my problem might be the solenoid. Anyone have thoughts on this? Please help.

Rebuild the valve body. Use Sonnax end plugs, and a boost valve with O rings. I suspect that your pressure might be a little low. Check the pressure with a 0-300 PSI test gauge. Blown valve body gaskets could cause low pressure along with an internal valve body problem. In the meantime, check the fluid level, adjust the bands, and the kickdown cable. You might also have a sticking governor. Check the vacuum line going to the modulator to see if there is any fluid in it.

Back