• Register Today It's free!

92 Explorer 4x4 Problem

92_Explore

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 4 door 4x4
Hey guys i have a 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 that i got for $300 bucks and the owner told me when i got it that the 4x4 has never worked ever since he had it. I am sure you guys have heard this time after time but i literally have nothing when i hit the 4x4 button. No lights on the switch or the dash at all. I checked over the fuses and they all seem fine, i did the 4x4 module check and that checked out okay, and i recently bought a used 4x4 switch off of ebay and replaced it and i still have nothing. I have power in the wiring harness and when i was touching the terminals the 4x4 high and low lights on the dash would light up as well. I am guessing it would have to be the shift motor? If anyone else can offer any input i would greatly appreciate it. Just wondering what i should be looking for or if maybe i missed a step? Thanks a lot for anyones input. Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah thanks i have that printed out to use as a reference guide but i was just wondering if anyone could pinpoint exactly what they thought the problem was

Where you able to hear the relays clicking when you pushed 4x4?

Honestly no i did not hear them clicking. I didnt have anyone sit back there and listen but i could not hear anything from the front seat.

Honestly no i did not hear them clicking. I didnt have anyone sit back there and listen but i could not hear anything from the front seat.

The relays can be hard to hear especially if your not familiar with how they sound. Getting someone to listen would be your next step.
What did you mean when you said:
92_Explore said:
I have power in the wiring harness and when i was touching the terminals the 4x4 high and low lights on the dash would light up as well.
Touching what terminals??

Well i was using a test light, and touching the wire ends in the plug that goes into the 4x4 switch. On the right side of the plug the last 3 were the ones i got any reaction out of, the top one was giving me nothing, the third one down was a full light, the 2nd to bottom one would dimly light up in the test light and it would light up the 4x4 on the dash and as would the bottom one, other than that i was not getting any readings.

Get a buddy to push the button while you back probe the motor wires, if youve got power down there, chances are your motor doesnt work

alright yeah ill even just unplug the connections at the 4x4 module and test the plug to see if i am getting power

Back