City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 manual tranny
180k miles OHV 4.0

Runs hot after only 3-5minutes.

Top rad hose is very hot, bottom hose is cool
No heat

No water in oil, doesnt see m to be any oil in the water either (flushed dout th coolant and currently running water while I solving the issue)

I'm thinking water pump or thermostat? What do you guyz think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm betting thermostat..maybe it's just opening a little and getting stuck.

I'd also try replacing the t-stat to start with.

I just took out the tstat now. Truck now idling. Be back in 15-20 mintutes.

Same as before. top hose hot, bottom hose cool. It now takes a little longer to get hot but still same issue.

Also if I rev it up to 3k the heat comes on and it cools down some.

Water pump not circulating?

could be that ...could have rust blocking the pump impeller (you say you flushed it ,was it really brown in color? ) also did you use a flush additive when you flushed the system ?i'm with jim and thinking that it may be the pump ....you already removed the t-stat so it can only be that or i guess the radiator it's self has a blockage in it but it would still get hot at the bottom rad hose ....got to be the pump .

just pulled the pump. The impeller is not even connected to the shaft anymore. The impeller fell tot he ground when I pulled the pump away from the motor.

On my way to autozone to buy a new pump.

Holy crap, didn't even know that was possible.

Any clues as to how it came off?

The guy that had it before me was running water instead of coolant and it froze on him. Poped the freeze plugs and everything.

I think that maybe the imperler was frozen and when he cranked it is spun on the shaft. ??

New pump is now now idling. be back in 10 min with update.

yeah i would like to see it too,i did not think that the impeller could shear off like that ...i always figured that it was all solid .i guess maybe they are stamp fitted on the shaft after hearing about this ?!? .....weird .

HPIM0109.jpg

oh thats nothing ...just a dap of jb weld will fix that ...no problem :rolleyes:

i agree thats nuts ,was that the stock one or an aftermarket pump?...maybe go with another brand name !

That's crazy, had no idea it could happen. After seeing this though, it looks like the impellers are a press fit onto the shaft.

So is your truck running better?

Truck now runs grat but also had to buy a new fan clutch. Stock one was shot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back