• Register Today It's free!

92 X only overdrive works

dmorris

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
this just started suddenly. Reverse D1, D2, D3 seem to "lockup" while overdrive is fine.

example I put it in Reverse, it backs up for maybe a foot, then suddenly stops like the brakes are on. I can push the accelerator and it will back up, but its under obvious stress.

put in neutral it will coast put it in reverse and it breaks. Same with all but overdrive which is fine.

overdrive is just a selection. your talking about an auto right? when you put the shift lever in overdrive, do you feel the obvious shifting between 1st 2nd and 3rd? or does it only feel like its using one gear the whole time?

check your trans fluid level. make sure its right and that the trans fluid doesnt look like coffee. also, test your fluid. the one barkyard trans fluid test that my shop teacher swears by is too put a drop on a piece of white letter paper. if the fluid sits on top of the paper and super slowly soaks in, your fluid is fine. if the fluid soaks into the paper like water, you should do a fluid and filter change.

Back