92 X Will Not Start... Please Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 X Will Not Start... Please Help!

Maverick0007

Reaction score
I had started my car and had it idling for a couple minutes because I was on the phone, then it died. I go to start up the engine again, and it justs cranks but won't turn over. I also notice that when I turn my key and you usually hear a whineing noise, like a motor or solenoid turning on. I don't hear that now. Any clues as too an answer? Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like something is wrong with the fuel pump system. Check the fuse and relay.

Is that what usually makes that noise when you turn the key. I know the pump is a couple months old. I will check it.

Bad Starter

It also sounds to me like something is wrong with your fuel system. If you just turn the key to the "on" position you should be able to hear the fuel pump cycle.

MEANEXPLODER said:
Bad Starter

I don't think so.

In my experience of a bad starter on an X, it wouldn't crank AT ALL. The X uses a PMGR (Permanent Magnet, Gear Reduction) Starter and they will always work like they did the day they were built....giving NO indication of impending failure....then one day it just won't start.

The whining he is describing, that he USED TO HEAR is definitly the fuel pump. Whether it died just because it was time....or if the relay did the same thing...can't tell ya'....but I would start at the switch on the firewall at the top of the passenger side foot well area (behind the glove box, but a little lower, behind the carpet)...then check the relay...and if all those are good, then pull the tank, and replace the pump....It SOUNDS way harder than it actually is....

Ryan

Ok, here is the deal. I have the a/c compressor off my X right now, so I have the belt on without the a/c compressor. I noticed that the fuse was blown for the eec relay. So I replaced the fuse and tried to start it up again, and the fuse blew again. So I blew out the fuse box and put a new fuse again and try to start it. I heard the fuel pump noise again, and the fuse is not blowing out. All other fuses are good. But still no start. Is this because the a/c compressor is not on?

Ok, today, the truck started for like 5 seconds then died, could the engine be flooded?

Duh

Duh, I Completely Ignored That He Said It Cranks

After going through a very similar situation this summer I can say verify your relays are still good. Hell if any question replace them, they are about $5 a pop at autozone. Maybe whatever was shorting and causing the fuse blow also gave the relay a hit as well.

Here's my situation. Long winded, dont read any further if you bore easily.

Driving along and out of the blue the engine died. Pulled it to the side and tried to start it, it just cranked and cranked, never started. Much like you I looked at fuses and noticed the ECC fuse blown. Replaced it and the truck fired right up. Drove about a block then it died again, sure enough fuse was blown. Getting frustrated because I could not find the problem, got it to a shop. $100 later find out a harness was rubbing somewhere which was causing the short.

Got everything fixed and the truck ran great for a few weeks then it started getting buggy again. Would start and run fine all the way home from work. Leave again, say an hour later, and the truck will not start again. Same symptoms as the burnt fuse but the fuse was fine. Started playing a swap game with the ECC relay, swapped it out for I think the blower relay...whichever had the same number, and she fired right up again.

This cycle of relay swapping went on for weeks before I just coughed up the cash for some new relays, think I replaced them all, as the blower motor was giving me hell last winter as well. Since replacing them have not had a no start, and my heat has been good all winter so far.

Back