• Register Today It's free!

92 xlt brake issue

explorerguy94

Reaction score
City, State
albemarle nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer xlt
I had to park my 92 xlt 4x4 explorer because i lost pressure on the brake pedal and ever since I had my front brakes changed they would smoke real bad and very strong brake smell. I towed the car home went to back it slowly in my driveway and i got brake pressure back. I drove it forward and back testing the brakes and they felt ok. I was driving out of town and went to stop at a light and it went all the way to the floor and slowly stopped. I pump the brake pedal at the light and it had pressure but when I went to apply the brake again no pressure and to the floor again. I had my brakes changed by a professinal cost about $200 for front brakes. I was thinking it might be master cylinder. It has plentyof brake fluid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had to park my 92 xlt 4x4 explorer because i lost pressure on the brake pedal and ever since I had my front brakes changed they would smoke real bad and very strong brake smell. I towed the car home went to back it slowly in my driveway and i got brake pressure back. I drove it forward and back testing the brakes and they felt ok. I was driving out of town and went to stop at a light and it went all the way to the floor and slowly stopped. I pump the brake pedal at the light and it had pressure but when I went to apply the brake again no pressure and to the floor again. I had my brakes changed by a professinal cost about $200 for front brakes. I was thinking it might be master cylinder. It has plentyof brake fluid.

Air in your lines? Were your brake lines bleed after the brake replacement?

I don't know if they did bleed the lines. I take all my cars there and never had this problem after they changed the brakes on my other old cars. I know they shaved the rotors and thats what was so expensive. When I picked it up I smelled brakes and thought it was normal because new pads but there was alot of smoke rolling out of my wheels when I stopped and the smell was so strong. This went on for about 3 months and then I lost brake pressure and had to park it.

Your wheels were smokin like that for 3 months? Because if thats the case, I'm suprised your wheels didn't lock up it sounds like maybe your bleeder is clogged up or something. It happened on my moms 91 one time but her front break completely locked up. Maybe someone else can jump in and help diagnose this issue.

let me get this straight, you had a front brake job from a mechanic and you have smoking brakes after and instead of taking the truck back immediatly to the mechanic you drove it for 3 months until it totally stopped working and now you do not know what to do!

take the truck back to the mechanic and have them fix it!

call your local tv station and complain.

call the bbb and complain.

stand outside the mechanic's shop and tell everyone who drives up what happened.

i can't believe you had to ask.

Try to be nice, he just wasn't sure what to do about it. Maybe he has told the garage about it and now they're tryin to screw him over.

They said it was normal cause they were new brakes. I'm wonderin why sometimes I have no pressure on my pedal and sometimes I do. I didn't know if this was a fairly common problem with explorers. I didn't want to go spend good money on parts that won't fix it. I'm gonna work on it this afternoon and bleed the lines and see if that helps.

thats what i'd try, is to bleed the lines, make sure your bleeder isn't clogged I think I fixed my moms by pokin the little hole with a needle, and make sure the pads arent worn to the bone

that was nice.

take the truck and yourself and sit outside and complain loudly in front of other customers until they fix it.

you should have done that the first week.

if that sounds cruel i am sorry but the truth hurts.

if you have to try to fix it yourself i would start by taking a hsrd look at the front brakes with the wheels off and than remove the calipers and see if anything jumps out that looks wrong.

and of course get a manual if you do not have one.

Back