93 exlplorer wont start at random times?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 exlplorer wont start at random times??

fatboy1185

Reaction score
City, State
oregon
hey iv had a 93 explorer for that past few years, and it has treated me well.. but for some reason, at random times, the car will just turn over and over and wont start.. then after about 25 minutes ill go back out and it will start right up... any idea's??? thx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When it does the no start, listen to see if you hear the fuel pump whining when you
turn the key to on. May be a problem with the Fuel Pump relay in the black box under the hood. If you turn the key to on and don't hear the fuel pump run, get out and jiggle the relay (leave the key in the on position) and if you hear the fp start up, it's the relay or contacts in the relay box.

Intermittent faults can be a pain to track down. In addition to what Tom suggested, I would suggest pulling codes from the computer. Some no starts like that will leave codes in memory that could help determine why it wouldn't start.

I agree with the fuel pump not priming. these trucks are notorious for fuel pump relay and fuse issues, when they get this old.

Another vote for the pump and or pump relay. Mine went not too long ago, exact same symptoms as yours. I just replaced the pump and relay to be sure my wife wouldn't get stuck anywhere too ugly.

Back