• Register Today It's free!

93 explorer hi-beam dimming...

Lafferty

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Explorer
Hey guys, I have a 93 Explorer with malfunctioning headlights. The previous owner had plug and play hids installed. Not much info on those. I replaced them wi tt h the stock lights since the hids did not have a hi-beam feature. Well when the lights are turned on the hi-beam dash indicator light is permanently on. When I turn on the hi-beams the headlights dim. The flash feature on the multi function switch does nothing to the brightness of the headlights. I do not want to pay for a new multi function switch from a parts store. If I have to pull the switch and repair it I will. Is there anything else that could be causing this issue? My truck does not have auto lamps. The only control for the headlights on the dash left of the steering wheel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wiring. You need to trace the wires & figure out exactly what was cut & reattach like stock.
No such thing as plug & play HID's on a car that never had them. Are they real HID's with a ballast or that cheap "hid like kit" that has a harness for different bulbs?
Are you sure your using the correct bulbs? 9004

They are hids with a built in ballast atyached to the assembly. The ballast is then svrewed to the metal nearby so ot does not bounce around. Then the ballast is attached to a factory plug. This plug is specifically designed.to plug into a ford explorer headlight bulb.socket..... You dont seem to know what you are talking about........

He's right about there being no such thing as plug and play HIDs. They may have the components of an HID-like kit, but they are illegal, unsafe, and not good, despite whatever parts they may have that aids their use with the Explorer.

Good decision on choosing to remove them.

It does sound like the low and high beam wires are swapped. It might as simple as the wires at the bulb harness/plugs being switched.

It could also be the multifunction switch, though I'd suspect it's just somehow stuck in the high position. You may need to remove the switch in order to inspect and reposition the contacts/mechanism back to the proper location.

There could be other wiring issues though, with a HID system, especially if the factory wires were cut up and new wiring or harness were installed in their place.

Well the kit looks something like that but not quite, ill chexk the wiring tonight and update

Hey guys, sorry for the late update. I took the switch out to get a look at it. I took it apart and put it back together but that furthered my problem. Now I am looking at getting another switch and moving forward from there. When I find a solution I will update this thread. Thank you for all of your help.

Ok, so anyone have a wiring diagram for a first gen explorer? I just got a brand spanking new switch in and im srill having this problem. Could it be the bulbs maybe?i just checked under the hood. Everything look stock including the wirng until I pulled the bulbs abd saw 9007 on the side.... Could that be my entire problem?
do the bulbs share the same connector? Ive always had a tough time fitting them in the housing correctly but the connector is a nice fit..

Back