Installing Custom Driving/Fog Lights any suggestions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing Custom Driving/Fog Lights any suggestions

93xltffromOhio........... My one suggestion is buy the relay wiring kit from oreilly's it is a hefty $12 :).

I suggest that, because like many others I wanted my fogs to kick on with parking lights/ low beams. I did that, no relay, it was fused and 8 months later my headlight switch took a dump on me. That was a giant PITA to re-splice. Needless to say I haven't had fogs since November when my switch got replaced.

I had to re-splice, because some of the wiring melted, and it kinda torched the electrical plug for the headlight switch.

Not always. For instance, my fogs have no bulb shield, and work wonderfully in fog, with minimal scattering outside of their range.

If you get a set of good quality fog lights (say Hella 500s or 550s), you'll be amazed at the difference. There's been times where I couldn't see isht with my headlights (to the point of having to stop), but I flip my 550s on by themselves and all of a sudden it's like cutting the fog's thickness right in half, the double-yellow line on the left & white line on the right will suddenly appear right through the fog.
Without that glare shield the light tends to reflect back at you within the fog itself, obscuring the road below (not to mention in clear conditions causes more glare for oncoming drivers too).

Whoo-hoo! 1000th post :D

Grats on the 4 digits junkie!

Also, I know what you mean by running the fogs by themselves and the amazing difference it can make, though one of these days I would love to compare my PIAA's to your Hella's. Sadly it would probably have to be somewhere out by you, there just hasn't been much fog here this year... not much moisture at all, really.

Ehh... We're a ways behind on the precip over here too. :(

:chug: (<maybe help a little though lol)

Back