93 explorer not running | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 explorer not running

drivesAkia

Reaction score
My mom owns a 93 explorer 4wd. The fuel pump is not kicking on when the key is turned, it has already had 2 other pumps installed and the same thing is happening again. So far I think they have swapped pumps, relays and computers, each time it would run for a month or so then die again. Last time it quit was in her drive way, she let it sit over night and the next day it started up, but wouldn't start back after that. Any help would be appreciated, she really can't afford to have it towed or have another shop throw parts at it.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Buy Ford Relays!!! Try to Replace the ECC and Fuel Pump relays with ford relays.......

The relays were new from Ford. I just talked to her and she said over the last few days it has been running fine, but she still doesn't want to drive it far.

The solution to not throwing parts at it is to find the faulty part and replace just that part. That means a reasonable effort at diagnosis. What skills does she (or someone else near her) have? I would take a wiring diagram and a voltmeter and, the next time it stalls/won't start, start tracing the fuel pump circuit.

Mine had the same problem, it would start on some days and on others it wouldn't because you could not hear the fuel pump kick on, However, i did a little digging and i found out that there is a "Emergency gas shut off" switch underneath the carpet towards the front of the Explorer, you might want to make sure the relay is all the way into the switch and if that doesn't work then i would start narrowing your options.

Keep me updated! Hope all goes well!

Back