No Fuel Pump Running On Key Up--Intermittent | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Fuel Pump Running On Key Up--Intermittent

scottie72

Reaction score
City, State
Bonney Lake, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
I have a 1994 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. Just this weekend I started having
problems with my fuel pump. It will only kick on intermittenly at key up. I replaced the pump with a new one and it was ok for a day. I started acting up again so I replaced the fuel pump relay. I still have issues with the pump running intermittently on iginition key up, sometimes it will run and sometimes it won't. Is this a possible problem with the fuel pressure regulator?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are no check engine lights with key on. I did notice some moisture around the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator to the intake.

The check engine light is supposed to turn on when you turn the key. If it doesn't go on, it means that there is no power going to the PCM. It could be a ground wire, fuse, or relay. If the PCM doesn't turn on, the fuel pump wont turn on either.

To answer this question, "Is this a possible problem with the fuel pressure regulator?" -- No, the FPR isn't involved in whether or not the fuel pump turns on. If the fuel pump isn't running, then there's a problem in the FP circuit. As noted, this includes getting power to the main computer.

Make sure the connector on the bottom of the inertia switch is on tight. It's a bit of a long shot, but easy to check. As the previous post said, check/replace the PCM relay.

the CEL bulb could be out however

-Drew

I did some more checking, the check engine light did come on with the fuel pump running. I went ahead and changed the pcm relay and so far I have no failures...but
like before this has been an intermittent problem. I will watch for the cel when and if it fails again.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Back