93 motor swap issue

lifeguard379

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
sacremento,ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 eddie bauer 2 door
So long time no post. Glad this place is still hear.:) I have a 93 Ford Explorer that I just put the third engine in. (I'm little rough on the truck) The donor engine came out of a 96 same long block, I have a key on engine off pass engine cranks with no start. all my wiring seems to be connected correctly the only thing I did have to do was keep the 96 camshaft position sensor instead of the 93 because I broke it on removal. I did rewire the pigtail, but I'm wondering now if that is why it won't run. should it work and I have another issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 96 cam sensor should work with the 93 pcm yes. In 93 the cam sensor was only used for starting, it should even start and run without it.
Do you hear a fuel pump prime? Do you have fuel pressure at the rail?
Does it fire up with ether in the intake?

What happened to the old 93/2nd engine to make it quit?

The old motor over heated and blew the head gasket. And no it doesn't start with starting fluid either.

Thank you for the reply.

I know this is a good motor because I was driving the donor car till the transmission went kaput.

Fuel pump was bad. New pump in fuel at the rail. Still not starting.

Yes. It did pop a couple times after I cranked and blue a couple vacuum lines off it like it backfired

Ok, has fuel, has spark, and popped when cranked.

Sounds like the timing is way off. I think they are aligned different from the 2nd gens ohv. They are in diff locations on the block, so kinda makes sense here. How to align the 96 cam gear teeth properly for your 93 application.... I haven't a clue. Might just have to change the firing order?

Hopefully someone else who knows will chime in here.

Would the low oil sensor stop it from starting?

I asked that question for you in a thread that gives the procedure to change that sensor, but no replies yet.

That backfire pop has me worried that it might have caused internal damages. Bent valves could have happened, if it was severe enough. Might have to do a little work to find out if it did or not.

Hmmmm really? It was a running engine before i put it in this truck. I don't like the sound of this.

backfire through the intake is usually a lean condition
How much fuel pressure do you have at the rail?

The cam sensor on the OHV never moved locations as far as I know???
Always in the same spot on the rear of the lower intake, HOWEVER they did have several variations of that sensor. I have read several times that the 96 style sensor will work in place of the earlier 91-95 type sensors, but I have only READ that here on EF. let me see if I can dig up the thread(s)

Does it run with ether in the intake?

Unless your timing chain just snapped I don't think you bent any valves the cam sensor cannot change the timing of the engine, the crank and cam are connected with a chain no tensioners on a OHV :)

My bad. Mixed up the 4.0 on my 94, and the 5.0 on the 95. Those are front and back. Whoops.

If the gear is off a tooth or two, and the sensor is not lined up right, it can affect the firing order. I just went thru this and had to take it to the dealer to use their software to correct it. At least this is what I was told, and what I paid to fix.

I'm being cautious with the internal parts here, and just bringing it up as a severe backfire can cause damages. Not saying it did, but just in case is all. Didn't mean to cause a panic.

410 knows way more than I with these engines, and glad he chimed in. My offerings are limited, so I will back away now.

Hope it all works out, and is something simple like a crossed wire.

Don't back away....nooooooooo! I need all the help I can get

hahahahaha

I believe my course of action is going to be going to Pick-N-Pull I'm getting a sensor out of a first gen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was shocked to see you can buy a 93 style cam synchro brand new online
Hoping you get it sorted!
You can try unplugging the sensor it and see if it runs?

Back