'93 ranger---clunking from transfer case... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'93 ranger---clunking from transfer case...

paulages

Reaction score
so i bought a '93 ranger 4.0 4WD (electric transfer case) two days ago, and wouldn't you know it, we got a debilitating snowstorm the next morning. my 4WD is working, but it randomly makes a clunk (i think) from the transfer case, which sounds like it is disengaging and re-engaging the front end. sometimes it seems to be when i let off the gas after accelerating, but sometimes it seems to be whenever it wants. maybe relevant: the low gear switch seems not to work at all. is there some common problem with these i should be aware of? my '86 had a manual selector with locking hubs, so this is new to me.

paul

The T-case shift motor is a common problem, - search for a thread in the Useful Threads forum. The clunk sounds like bad auto-hubs to me, another very common problem.
Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

thanks. i'll search some more. last night, when i pushed the 4WD button on the dash, it took a minute to engage, and you could actually hear gears touching like they weren't quite engaged. bummer if i have to replace half of the damn system...

Back