• Register Today It's free!

94 Automatic Headlights Problem

inkfast

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I happened to catch a glimpse of my truck in a window while at the store today and saw that my headlights were not on. I have an automatic headlight switch in the mirror and anytime the car is on, the headlights have always been on. I pushed the button a few times and nothing happened. For the heck of it, I turned the car around so I could see my tail lights in the storefront window and the tail lights were out too but now only one of the brake lights (R) was working as well. I drove the truck straight home and now everything seems to be working just fine again.

Has anyone else had problems with this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

didn't know 94's came with auto headlights

My 94 XLT has auto lights and auto dim on the mirror with front and back sensors. The problem happened again yesterday afternoon, I turned of the automatic headlights and the brake lights started working just fine. Guess that fixes that problem.

Is yours an Eddie bower? I have a 94 XLT and it had DRL (canadian version) I yanked the fuse in the engine to stop the DRL - I just drive with the parking lights on instead, looks cooler;);)
There are no censors on my 94 that control the lights...

No, just a XLT. I bought from the original owner and he ordered it with power everything. Nice truck, but I think it's about time to sell it and buy a newer one. Really wish it had the V8 that wasn't available until '95.

Only the 94 limiteds had the DRL; as for V8s they didnt have them in the 2nd gens til 97 I believe

Other pre-94 trucks had DRL in Canada, it was law there. The DRL and Autolamp mirror are not the same, you can have one without the other.

V8 started in 96 I believe, my neighbor has one.

I'm thinking the OP might have a wiring issue from someone installing the autolamp mirror. The service manual shows the autolamp mirror as only being on the Limited.

My 95 has auto lamps, controls on the mirror, and one day after disconnecting the battery, I go out in the garage (when it was connected) like 3am, and the parking lights were on, not the gauge cluster lights, or dash lights, so I disconnected the mirror's harness for like 10 minutes, then reconnected it, and it was fine...try that if you have the auto mirror...

Back