• Register Today It's free!

94 explorer 4x2

myex94

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 94
I have 94 XLT Explorer 4x2 Auto transmission last week my torque converter start making very bad noise I took to Transmission shop the replace only the torque and the Tec guy told me he adjust the governor spring which is inside transmission tail
I had to do my self four time before because oil was too dirty the governor was stocking but I notice I was driving in the freeway my RPM was on 30000 and my speed was on 60 MPH is that ok?
how many speed has my ford? 4 speed ? or 3 ? because I try to count when start changing just is three?

Speed and RPM depends on gearing, tire size, a lot of other things.

The A4LD automatic transmission is a 4-speed, technically 3-speed with overdrive.

Three gear changes means four gears, since it starts out in first gear and makes three changes to get to fourth/overdrive.

I was carefully watching mine and I have the A4LD and there's 4 speeds, it hits the 4th around 40MPH and then there's another big RPM drop around 50, I assume that's torque converter lockup which will unlock if you really hit the gas going uphill. At about 60MPH, I run at 2000RPM.

It sounds like your torque converter isn't locking up. If I give it the gas going uphill, it will unlock and I will be a bit above 3000RPM at around 55-60. As Anime said, it all depends on gearing (rear differential), tire size & more. Just for reference, I have the 3.73 Limited Slip rear.

Back