the transmission Dilemma continues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

the transmission Dilemma continues

Fordexplorerguy1

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4.0 tow package?
Okay so Merry Christmas everyone, I spent my saturday removing a valve body to finally solve the problems my transmission has been having It was very dirty I still have to go buy brake cleaner so i can properly clean it but From what ive done it was extremely dirty. with that wonderful metal flake of course. So this is what i have come to the conclusion of. so i think i have this all sorted out... 1 cars previous owner was negligent and didn't change the trannie fluid... gummed up the governor.... causing it not to go out of first...causing metal flake I.e from wearing gears caused by revving it too hard (my stupid brother) and then eventually getting into the valve body causing it to get dirty and not to go into any other gear exept reverse when selected... So my main two symptoms are that When i put it into drive it takes almost a minute to go into drive :mad: and the classic stuck governor i have yet to do. Any tips for the valve body? or anything while um under there? Im just cleaning the valve body and reinstalling. I plan to reinstall tomorrow (sunday 26th.) Thanks!:exp:

My explorer is a 94 Eddie Bauer 4 door v6 4.0 with an a4ld transmission.

metal shavings in trans is a sign of series problem, you have something going wrong like planets, torque converter etc going bad.

Its not like serious just super fine shavings, and I did have a mechanic look at it and he said it was just from wear.

Yeah... a little bit of glitter in your fluid is not a sign of a serious problem. As long as you are going through the trouble of going through your valve body, may as well get a shift kit.

Read some of the tranny threads, there are recommendations for the specific one you should go for. There is a valve-body rebuild diary posted in there that has EVERYTHING you want to know.

Back