• Register Today It's free!

'94 Explorer autolock feature

parris001

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
I've searched and found the procedure for enabling/disabling autolock on newer generation Ford products. But I am pre-keypad and the info I'm finding online isn't working for me. Can autolock even be disabled on this generation of Explorer? I find this feature EXTREMELY irritating.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This a 94 limited? That's the only model that may have come with an alarm factory.(conflicting info on when) it may be dealer installed or aftermarket.

It's an XLT. And I don't think anything has been added, dealer or aftermarket.

So what autolock are you talking about then? You have a a remote for keyless entry?

No. When you get in and turn the ignition on, it locks all the doors.

As it turns out, I found the box. It's obviously a dealer added POS and is right under the drivers side of the dash. I'd like to just toss it, but I guess I need it to use key fobs.

Thread bump.

So I have a co-worker and he has the exact same truck. With the dealer added keyless entry. His works right, mine doesn't.

Mind you, it's not every time that you turn the key on that it'll do this. But about 9 times out of 10, you turn the key on and it'll lock all the doors. I figured that it was the way the thing was designed to work. Our '04 had (I programmed it out) that ANNOYING feature of locking all the doors at a certain speed.

But I realize that maybe there's something wrong with my '94? Do any of the rest of you with the dealer added keyless have doors that lock themselves when the key is turned on?

Stock ford keyless entry (at least on the 94) did not look the doors automatically when shifted into gear.

A dealer add-on can be made by any different aftermarket manufacturer. It can also be programmed anyway the installer felt like. Take 2 exact same vehicles sitting next to each other on the same lot... one has a DEI (viper,hornet,etc) alarm/ keyless entry programmed to lock the doors when put in gear, the other may have a Clifford and isn't programmed to lock the doors when in gear.

You need to find out the make and model of the unit, look up the manual online, and find out how to reprogram it for the options you want.

-or-

Find the module and unplug it.

IMG_2422_zpsd141b04c.jpg

This is mounted under my dash in the drivers area. I'm guessing dealer added because it's just dangling and they've used those cheap connectors.

It has Ford key fobs. I don't think it's aftermarket.

Back