94 explorer. can't get past 1/4 throttle. seems to be "Loading up" | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 explorer. can't get past 1/4 throttle. seems to be "Loading up"

Ok, It is a pump issue for sure!

hooked up the gauge again and got 28 psi at idle.

Disconnected the vac line and the pressure went up to 38 psi.

shut off the engine and watched the gauge stay rock steady for about 10 to 15 min before it very slowly comes down.

Drove around the subdivision and the pressure started dropping with my foot barely hitting the gas pedal. I stop and let it idle and it slowly comes back up to 25 psi.

So, Either my new gas filter is plugged with crap from the tank, the sock in the tank is full of crap, or the pump is just weak.

Gonna look up that post about cutting the floor for access to the pump and replace that sucker and put a new fuel filter on it too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

An overheating relay will do this also. I just want to point out the "free" checks before you replace the pump. It would suck to replace the pump, only to find out the power to it is dropping out.

Thanks Turdle,

Since I do not have the cash on hand for the pump. I will try the relay fix you suggested later today.

I went down the wrong road with my diagnostic skills so I have spent a lot of money that I didn't need to. But the truck is 17 18 yrs old so I guess that most of that stuff needed to be replaced.

Just my two cents worth here. If the catalytic converter was plugging up it could have similar symptoms. Might be worth uncorking the exhaust before the converter just to try it.

Just my two cents worth here. If the catalytic converter was plugging up it could have similar symptoms. Might be worth uncorking the exhaust before the converter just to try it.

The engine wouldn't die out though, most of the time you push on the pedal and you barely go. If the OP has a vacuum gauge it would be easy to test.
Hook it up to manifold vacuum and open the throttle while watching the gauge.

If the vac drops to zero and slowly climbs back up then Yes clogged exhaust.
Its not a bad idea you can get a lot of info from looking at the gauge.

Fuel pump replaced.. Did the hole in the floor. Found out that the sock was not only very dirty, but had also fallen off and was clogging the pump inlet.

Problem solved! Thanks everyone for your help!

i think your flux capacitor is going bad or your dillithium crystals need to be changed. at least that is what was wrong with mine.

Back