94 Explorer XLT (intermittenly) won't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer XLT (intermittenly) won't start

adamharris

Reaction score
City, State
Mifflintown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
My explorer has left me set for up to an hour on several occasions over the past 6 months ... seems to occur most often on hot, muggy nights - I think this problem is somehow related to engine temperature, but I'm not sure. It turns over strong, just won't start (I've ruined one battery already) but once it is started it runs great. I'm thinking it's either my fuel pump going or something in the ignition system, maybe the module pack? Anyone ever had this? It's a real pain because you can't count on your vehicle to ALWAYS get you home so I avoid long travels ... which is more expensive to replace, the module pack or the fuel pump?
Adam

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you hooked up a code reader to it? Code #'s would help.

Welcome Adam!

Codes would only be present if the check engine light (CEL) was on.

I'm also guessing ignition or fuel. More likely fuel. It may be that your fuel pump relay is going bad and sometimes doesn't turn your fuel pump on. Or the pump itself can just not go on sometimes. If this problem happens again, see if you can hear the fuel pump turn on when you turn the key. You should hear a "whirr" from the rear driver of the vehicle when the key goes to "on" before you start it.

I don't think it's the coil pack (ignition) if the vehicle runs fine otherwise. I'm leaning towards the simple problem: fuel pump relay.

I am almost positive that you need to replace your fuel pump relay. This happened to me a couple yeras back and the problem was hard to diagnose because it was intermittent. I also have a 1994 so maybe that year had more problems. Either way I am almost positive its the fuel pump relay. Mine did the exact same thing. Good Luck.

My '97 did the same thing. In my case it was a bad Crank Position Sensor. Once replaced, no problem for 18 months, then the same thing... They replaced the CPS again and it was fine for 2 years... On the third replacement, they realized that the sensor housing did not have the O-ring/seal it wsas suppose to so dirt/grime was abel to get in and foul the sensor, leading to the failure...

I'm not sure if the '94 have similar engine electronics, but this was a b!tch to diagnose... I'd have it towed to the dealer when it REALLY wouldn't start and after pulling it off the truck, it would start. The dealer was not able to reproduce it the first couple of times in the shop.

Good luck.

-tw

Thanks guys! I'll try the fuel pump relay and see what happens next -
Adam

As someone who just spent a bunch of time fixing a very similar problem in a '94 XLT, I'd thought I'd let you know what I learned through the school of hard knocks.

First the background:
The fuel pump provides fuel under pressure to the engine. Therefore, the pump must run whenever the engine is running. When you turn the key on, but not to the crank position, you should hear the fuel pump whirr for about 1 second and then shut off. This allows the fuel pump to pre-pressurize the fuel system. If you're not hearing this whirring sound, put someone on the ground under the tank and try it again. If the pump isn't coming on, you have one of two problems: lack of electricity to the pump, or a pump failure. Since the fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank, an electrical problem is MUCH easier to fix than a pump failure, so make sure to eliminate the electrical possibilities first.

Power for the fuel pump comes from the battery, through the fuel pump fuse, and is controlled by the the EEC relay, the fuel pump relay and the inertia cutoff switch. (The EEC is the Electronic Engine Controller, also called the PCM or Powertrain Control Module.) The fuel pump fuse, EEC relay and fuel pump relay are all located in the fuse box under the hood on the passenger side. The inertia cutoff switch is located inside, under the dash on the passenger side. There is a power connection for the fuel pump mounted on the driver's side frame rail right behind the fuel tank.

Electrical troubleshooting is best accomplished by working backwards. Locate the electrical connection for the fuel pump that is mounted behind the tank on the rear frame rail driver's side. Remove the connector from the frame and gently open the tabs to unhook the connector. There are four pins, two for fuel pump power, two for fuel float signal. Hold the connector so the flat side is up. Put a voltmeter on the pin at the top (next to the flat side) and the pin at the bottom. Have someone turn on the key and for a short time you should see 12 volts on the meter.

If you see 12 volts, congratulations you've got a failed fuel pump and you'll need to drop the tank and replace it. Getting the tank out is pain in the a**, putting it in isn't nearly as bad. You can find directions on this site and others, but you'll need a friend's help.

If you do not have power at the fuel pump connector, you have a failure in one or more of the components listed above or a wiring failure.

Check the inertia cutoff switch: The inertia cutoff switch is basically a steel ball and a magnet that if the car gets jarred severly (as in a collision) the fuel pump power can be cut off. This prevents the fuel pump from spraying gasoline all over the place in the event a fuel line breaks in the collision. If activated, you should be able to see a red band around the top of the switch. Push down to reset the switch, but check for fuel leaks before and after to be safe.

Check the fuel pump fuse: It's labeled as #18 and should be a 20 amp small fuse. It'll help to remove the big diode in front of it in the box to check it.

Check both relays: This is the part most people don't realize: the fuel pump relay AND the EEC relay control the fuel pump power. The relays are cheap, I'd recommend you just replace both the fuel pump and EEC relay with new ones. If you're cheap or dead on the road somewhere, you can steal the heater/blower relay for testing.

If none of the electrical components are bad, you should probably retest for power at the fuel pump. If still nothing, you'll should look for frayed/cut/shorted out wires. I read in one post that someone found a short where the inertia cutoff switch wires pass through the firewall. Good luck!

Why the "school of hard knocks" comment? I replaced the fuel pump in the tank and then discovered that it was the EEC relay. 5 hours of work and $140 versus 5 minutes of work and a $5 relay. Hmmm, which would you choose?

Adam, I have had a very similiar problem.

For mine, I replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) about a month ago, and have no problems since.

Check out this thread for more details.

Dead Link Removed

thanks everyone for your feedback ... that's exactly the info I needed "hard knocks"! I love this vehicle and don't mind dropping a few dimes to fix this, but I want to start by replacing less expensive things first ...

I replaced both the fuel pump and EEC relays ... no problems yet, but if it won't start again I'll probably try to replace the crankshaft position sensor (CPS) next - where is it located and how difficult is it to replace?
thanks! Adam

to no avail....

:mad:

I have the same problem...

a '94 XLT w/ 128k intermittent start problem is now more often NOT than WILL. This is seemingly a continuation for me,...from all the threads about racing/intermittent idle problems. sheesh.

I have replaced the EEC& Fuel Pump relays, now the Crankshaft Position Sensor. It's actually worse now, because the EEC doesn't seem to be controlling at all now, rather than intermittently. In the past year, I have replaced the EGR, PCV, PCM, TPS, FPR, Fuel Filter, thermostadt, cleaned the MAF, new plugs, and some more stuff I can't remember. I'm at a loss. I had actually

I'm going to check the battery cable (pos). I had to replace the negative last year (corrosion). Perhaps one of the smaller positives has corroded as suggested above.

I have pumped a bunch of cash into this mess. I hope you all fare better than I.

Back