• Register Today It's free!

94 Limited - Missing Badly...HELP

MexicoExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Monterrey, Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited
I just bought this baby and she is acting up. Started with the vacuum modulator which I just had replaced. The plugs were fouled and it was missing bad. Dealership said I also needed a tune-up and injector flush. Just got her back and she is still missing....just one cylinder. The wires were replaced recently I was told. Doesn't sound like she is missing at idle but when you step on the gas...she growls and shakes.

Based on reading some of the posts on here, it sounds like it might be the coil but I want some more opinions. I want this fixed...she is too sweet to be running poorly!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Missing on just one cylinder? Which cylinder? Does that cylinder have spark? Does the injector for that cylinder fire? Does that cylinder have good compression?

Pull the plug whats it look like? How's your coolant doing? Any white smoke?

Update

The Ford Dealer did some additional diagnostics, and now are telling me that the #5 injector isn't firing correctly. They don't know if it's the wiring or the injector. They want an arm and a leg (4 hours of work) to do the diagnostic...does this sound right? What are the worst case scenarios? Electical problem - cost? Change the injector - cost? I need some suggestions and input...mainly to keep the dealer honest (I don't trust them).

Thanks for the input I have received so far!

You are going to need some advanced point to point testing. To get to the injectors, you have to pull the intake manifold. Pain in the ass. Sounds to me like they ran an OBD and found a code on the injector possibly.

Worst case scenario, replacing injectors. Cost, roughly 6 hours labor plus parts. The ford injectors are made to last, I doubt its the injector itself. The only next step is to grab a fluke and get dirty.

Tracing electrical problems: 4 hours if you are lucky! You have to test one thing at a time. There is a flow chart the dealership mechs use to diagnose problems. I have it if you would like some insight into ford troubleshooting. They have to start at the top and work their way down. 4 hours, really about 2 or 3, is what it woud take to perform all of the diagnostic tests.

Personally, I do not think there is anything wrong with your injectors. I have the same truck and I race the ***** like no tomorrow. Before paying for dealership mech diagnostics, get an OBD1 tester from a parts store and do your own troubleshooting first. If you havent yet, replace your plugs and wires. Double-check your routing of the wires to the plugs. Look at your old plugs. A badly blackened or gas saturated plug could mean no fire.

urbanistic said:
There is a flow chart the dealership mechs use to diagnose problems. I have it if you would like some insight into ford troubleshooting.

Is that something you can email? If so, I'd love a copy!

Thanks for the Input

Urbanistic,

Thanks for the input. I went someplace else and had another diagnostic done and they said there was nothing wrong with the injector. As I said, I didn't trust the dealer. I recently had a tuneup so the plugs are almost new and the wires are also new. I had the MAF cleaned and the throttle body cleaned. This seemed to help and no miss now. I have some other problems I need help with so I am going to open a new thread.

MexicoExplorer

thnkx

Back