• Register Today It's free!

94 Navajo locking hub question

rlaramore

Reaction score
City, State
Bonney Lake, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
"94 Navajo
I just got this Navajo for my daughter to take to college. Like many others I've read about the 4wd wouldn't engage. The light would come on and I could hear somthing happening when I pressed the button, but no 4wd. I thought I would have to do the "Plastic sleeve" mod that I have read about. Tonight I discovered that it has WARN hubs that have lock and free settings. I turned them to lock and I had 4wd after pushing the dash button. They disengage when I turn the button off. Has this had different hubs put on it that what comes stock?
The owners manual doesn't mention hubs at all. Should I leave them on lock for the winter, or leave them on the free setting till I'm going to use 4wd. My truck has auto hubs and I just leave them on auto- I'm confused about what to do with this one.
Any information would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

normally you lock the hubs before you go 4x4....unlock after you come out of 4x4...i believe someone upgraded you hubs to warns...i have heard of people leaving them in locked position though during the winter...i am sure someone else will chime in...manual hubs are a plus, congrats on having 4wd and it sounds like everything is working fine...:D

Yeah it sounds like someone swapped it to a manual hub. They work great. When you want to go to 4x4 turn the hubs and press the button on the dash. When the lights come on your good to go.

I swapped to manual hubs when i had my explorer suspension. Loved them.

Only put the manual hubs in LOCK when the 4x4 is to be used. For any other driving, be sure the hubs are in the FREE position. Driving around in 2WD with locked hubs all winter long is a bad idea, and can eventually ruin them.

minor points.

My 1994 Owners Guide does cover manual hubs. Unless they had multiple revisions of this, you may want to look again. They were available with manual hubs from the factory.

The main reason that I've heard of for not keeping the hubs engaged when not in use is that you will be putting unnecessary wear on not just the hubs, but all forward drive gear components back to the t-case. Meaning, the u-joints, axle shafts, front diff, front drive shaft, and more u-joints.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Greetings!

Usually manual hubs only came from the factory with a manual transfer case. However, many Explorers and Navajos were converted to Warn manual hubs after the automatic hubs failed, or for the improved reliability when 4-wheeling off road. The manual hubs are stronger and more reliable.

One thing you should do, so you don't forget, as I did once: Make a little sign with a label maker to stick on the panle just above the 4X4 pushbutton. The sign should say, "Lock hubs before engaging 4WD." Sometimes we need a little reminder.

It is true that running with the hubs locked will cause the front U-joints, axles, differential gears and driveshaft to turn, resulting in some wear and decreased fuel economy. So, you should not run with the hubs locked all the time. However, it is a good idea to lock them once every month or so and drive for a mile or two in 2WD. This will keep the front drive components loose and lubricated, especially the front axle U-joints.

Bob

driving with them in the free setting saves gas.

Locking HUBS mechanically connects the front axle shafts to the wheels. If you engage 4x4 without locking the hubs the Axle shafts will spin freely within the hub..

I would lock the hubs anytime you think you may need to use 4x4. In snowy areas many people keep their hubs locked for weeks or months. If your hubs are locked and 4x4 is off the wheels are still connected to the axles which will be rotating and causing the front drive shaft to rotate as well. All this rotational mass causes additional drag on the drive train resulting in a slight decrease in mpg. While there is a slight amount of additional wear going on it is similar to the wear in an AWD vehicle whose hubs are permanently locked. Personally I consider locked hubs to just waste a little gas when not using 4x4.

Not to mention.........that while turning (tightly) with the 4x4 activated.......it become more cumbersome to operate.

BTW.....I live in Vancouver,WA.....only time I really need the 4x4, is Winter, when it snows (maybe 3-5 times a year) or when on a trip to Mt. Hood. So, your daughter's experience may vary depending on where she is (will be, during those times).

Aloha, Mark

Back