94 Ranger ignition question (Code 224) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Ranger ignition question (Code 224)

rmileham

Reaction score
City, State
Brookings, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger SuperCab
I have a 94 Ranger SuperCab, 2WD IL4 5 Speed Manual. I bought it a few months ago and it has at least 140,000 miles on it. The motor misses under a load especially when at full operating temperature. Checking CEL codes yields the following:

KOEO: 337

CM: 224, 337

KEOR: 337

Inspection of the DPFE shows corrosion around the pressure inputs (its case is Aluminum). Posts on this forum indicate that moisture is the enemy of the DPFE. Therefore, I have one on order. That should cover 337, I hope.

224 points to the primary coil. I used a timing light to monitor the spark on each of the plug wires on both coils. Several showed consistent firing while the others were intermittent. On one of the intermittent lines, I pulled the plug wire from the top of the coil, thereby forcing the spark to jump from coil to wire. Doing this resulted in the line firing consistently. It has been a long time since I have done any trouble shooting, but if my memory serves, this is an indication of a bad plug / wire.

So here is my question: Can the 224 code be indicative of bad plugs and wires?

Sorry for being so long winded. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

UPDATE

It looks like the answer to my question is: Yes, bad plugs and wires can produce the 224 code.

I replaced the DPFE, plugs, and wires. The miss is gone, no CEL, and all 111 codes.

Life is good!

..Glad to see this worked out and thanks for posting an update as I'm sure it will help others looking for answers to this same problem..:biggthump

Back