94 towing question and opinions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 towing question and opinions

I have a 94 xlt with the factory cooler/ warmer and I have a hitch I just put on. I'm getting ready to buy a house and I'm looking at getting a 5x8 or 5x10 steel utility trailer to use around the house. I'm not pulling anything heavy with it. It's mainly for a couple of sheets of drywall or plywood or boards and whatnot. I was going to put a auxiliary cooling on the truck but I don't think I'm going to. What are your opinions on it? Should I get one or will I be fine with a 5x8 trailer that I use every now and then. My truck has 160xxx miles on it and I think the trans was rebuilt before I bought it not too long ago.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not knowing your towin ratings, just be sure the loaded trailer can't weight more than 3000 lbs. That will give you 500 lbs capacity in the truck if/when you have it loaded to 3000 lbs, for a total of 3500 lbs (which is the minimum tow rating for your Explorer).
If you intend to use this for more around town stuff (expressway, etc), then you need to do more research, and know more about your truck's gearing and towing package.

I would Recommend the Second Aux Fluid Cooler , I installed one on my DD and noticed it helped . Like stated above , Look into your Gear ratio and maybe New rear Shocks too ! .

I have a '94 Explorer, with 3.23 gears I think, and a 4x8 homebuilt trailer that I occasionally tow. The trailer has about 30" sides, but is open otherwise. I use it like it sounds like you intend to. I rarely have a lot of weight in it, but have towed it on the highway and interstate with no problems whatsoever.

Just remember - even a lightweight, empty trailer takes more time/distance and pedal pressure to stop than the tow vehicle by itself.

As an engineer in the auto brake industry, here is my recommendation for brakes:

Functional trailer brakes will help you regardless of the trailer weight. If you trailer has brakes, I highly recommend you put them to good use.

If the total, actual combined weight of both vehicles (truck + trailer) exceeds the GVWR rating of the tow vehicle, then I would consider functional trailer brakes a requirement.

Your Explorer's brakes were designed to stop the truck at it's GVWR. So if the truck is empty, and you have a light trailer, such that the total weight is less than the truck's GVWR, you would not be exceeding the brake's design limits, and trailer brakes should be considered recommended. But if the GVWR is 6000 lbs (for example), and you have 7000 lbs total, you would be overworking the truck's brakes without supplementing with trailer brakes.

An extra cooler is a good idea regardless if you're towing or not. For a small utility trailer that is licensed for 2-3000 pounds you'll be fine. I have exactly what you're looking for and have yet to tow it with the Explorer but my Saab does great with it.

6997521960_630102965f_z.jpg

Back