95 Explorer 4.0 engine cutting out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Explorer 4.0 engine cutting out

tsalasek

Reaction score
City, State
Kelley, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
I am begging for all of you expertise and experience.
I need help with 1995 Explorer 4.0
The engine will start,die,start,die and then it will start and run at hi idle at 1800rpm idle and then throttles back to about 1200rpm. It will run that way until I rev it up to at lease 3000 RPM and cuts out and then recovers just before it dies. without moving the throttle, it does this on a cycle time of about 5 sec without ever moving accelerator. letting up off the accelerator will allow it idle again and around 1200 rpm.
Engine has 165,000 miles. Engine has historically run well.
  • All started after driving through snow and got snow into the engine bay and it wouldn’t start the next day. It was -15 degrees F.
    Used ether to try and get it started. It didn't want to start. I used too much and caught air filter on fire. Pushed into shop and used heater buddy to thaw out engine bay. Snow all melted off and it finally started. took it down the road and after about 2 miles it started cutting out as described above.
  • Replaced Air filter.
  • Cleaned battery terminals
  • Got electrical cleaner and disconnected all connectors and cleaned everything I could find.
  • Engine light has been on for 30,000 miles.
  • Used OBD1 code reader using KOEO test and throws 2 codes with DPFE sensor and hub lockout.
  • Replaced DPFE sensor and replaced vacuum lines on DPFE sensor.
  • Simulated EGR vacuum regulator and proved the EGR valve opens and closes
  • Cleaned MAF sensor with appropriate cleaner.
  • Removed O2 sensor in exhaust to prove catalytic converter was not plugged. just got loud.
  • Replaced fuel filter. Replaced fuel pump back in summer.
  • Checked fuel pressure and held 35 PSI.
  • Replaced plugs and plug wires.
  • Proved spark is ok with visual spark tester
  • Replaced Crank position sensor.
  • Replaced Three power relays in fuse box under hood.
  • Replaced 2 diodes in fuse box under hood.
All of the things I tried did not change the symptoms. It is very repeatable.
Let the suggestion begin :)
Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Intake manifold gaskets / o rings maybe leaking

Have you changed the oil since the snow incident? Any water in oil?

Hopefully the snow didn’t melt and end up getting sucked down the intake…

Thanks for your response.
Oil changed about 2000 miles ago. Not since snow
Oil looks good and correct color. not milky
Antifreeze correct level and color.
I need to get a vacuum gauge and measure.

If it does turn out to be intake gaskets make sure to order EGR tube o-ring as well -when removing upper intake/ egr tube- Felpro #72266
And you'll need a sharp hook-like tool to pull out old upper intake gaskets/ rubber rings out of grooves of upper intake ...they'll appear to be part of your upper intake...no longer soft rubber but like rigid plastic in grooves... must gouge out with hook tool. $2 at Harbor freight:
HOOK-TOOL.jpg

Back