Engine cutting out under acceleration. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine cutting out under acceleration.

Noeyb

Reaction score
City, State
Perth, Western Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer xlt 2000
I have a 2000 Ford Explorer xlt, 6 cylinder petrol with 160,000 kms.
Lately I can only drive it if I feather the accelerator. It gets up to 100km/hr and cruises perfectly however if I try to overtake another vehicle or put my foot down even slightly hard on the accelerator it cuts out.
My wife drove over 3000 kms to our home town with it doing this so it can be managed.
When stationary it idles a little rough with the revs going up and down slightly and even cuts out sometimes.
Very frustrated as it has had this problem previously and the mechanics sent the computer away to be worked on and charged me $800. When I got it back, within next 2 hours the problem occurred again.
Any ideas please?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it have any dtc's? Did they tell you what they did with the computer? how about a basic tune up and see if it help.

Cutting out

I don't know what the codes were, I phoned the mechanic today and he said he will let me know tomoz. Don't know what they did to the computer either, obviously not too much. Will post codes tomorrow.

If you paid that much you could ask him to break down and come up with a list of what he actually did. Keep us posted.

a few ideas

Do you have Bosch spark plugs installed? Many members have experienced unreliable performance with them.

How many miles on the current fuel filter? Maybe it is clogged.

Have you checked the fuel pressure? Many original fuel pumps become unreliable after 15 years.

Have you cleaned the MAF sensor element with MAF sensor aerosol?

Is the air filter clogged from dusty road driving?

Check the fuel filter first...

The symptoms sound so much like a clogging fuel filter... That or decreased fuel pressure which usually mean a clogging fuel filter...Or a dying fuel pump...

I found that my truck would run up to 60-80 mph if I accelerated slowly...If I tried to pass or accelerate quickly the engine would sputter and die if I stayed in the throttle long enough...My problem was a dirty[rusty] fuel tank that would clog the fuel filter every 300-500 miles before I had to change it...This clogging also caused a major strain on my fuel pump trying to push fuel through and would cause the fuel pump to die over time...

Good luck with the problem being something simple...hopefully...

A clogged fuel filter or dying fuel pump will cause a rough idle or hesitation when engine is idling or running at any speed or can even cause a hard start. If you have never replaced the fuel filter before i guess its the right time to replace it. And get the details from your mechanic before throwing other parts at it.

Thanks for the advice guys, still waiting to hear back from my mechanic.

Finally got in touch with my mechanic, he said that they had re configured my computer ? As well as checking fuel pump, mas sensor etc. he suggested I check my eec hego fuse which I did and found that it had burnt out. Replaced and runs like a dream. Hopefully stays that way. Thanks for all your suggestions, much appreciated.

Still curious what the heck was done with the ecu? $800? You could have bought an handheld and had any shop that does SCT custom tune the truck for less than that.

Wow... Tuning/reflash and maybe just checked fuel pressure cost you 800bucks? And the problem is just a simple fuse which they could have done it. Well, glad your car is fixed.

Back