95+ Front Diff seal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95+ Front Diff seal

Jeff1

Reaction score
The rear seal (where the driveshaft connects) of my front diff is leaking on my 95. Has anyone replaced this before? Are any special tools needed? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I noticed mine seeped a little too...I had my Explorer on ramps, though..is it normal for abit of oil to come by on incline? Thanks!

------------------
TravisN1@AOL.COM
1995 XLT 4x4

I've had it since it was new and noticed the 1st oil drop on the garage floor last weekend...I don't think it is normal.

Sounds like your front pinon seal. I've never done it on an explorer, but I've done it on other vehicles. Remove your driveshaft and the pinon nut. A gear puller is pretty much essential to remove the seal. Be sure to grease the new seal before you put it in. You'll probably also want to drain your front diff before you do it.

Good luck.

I had mine replaced last year.

It only cost $75.00 and the dealership diagnosed the problem and used a dye test; they also replaced the fluid too.

95XLT, 107,000miles

Drew - Is the gear puller to remove the driveshaft flange or the seal (or both?)? For $75 it might be worht having the dealer do it! Thanks

I noticed that one of my axle shaft seals on the front diff of my '93 limited appeared to be leaking because the pumpkin was getting greasy. A couple of ounces of brake fluid poured into the front diff seemed to swell that seal right up! In the grand scheme, I couldn't see it doing any harm.

------------------
"Whoever said you can't fool all of the people all of the time, was a damned fool" Vincent K McMahon, January 1999

Back