95 vs. 97: what is the difference? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 vs. 97: what is the difference?

J. Kennedy

Reaction score
City, State
Acton, Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
I have a 1995 xlt, V6 auto 4wd, which has given me nothing but trouble since the day I bought it. Tons of little things, but the biggies are the trans at 66k ($3500) and the steering rack at 85k ($1k). So I swore I would never buy another.

Of course, a mint 97 xlt V6 auto AWD falls in my lap. Price is cheap, miles are low.

How are the different? Better? Worse? Is the 97 the one with the SOHC? Does the 97 have a more reliable tranny?

Thank you in advance, JK.

no sadly the trannies are the same...my 96 has been anything but trouble(knocks on wood).....smae trans 125k.....maby you just got a "bad one"

Firstly there is no such thing as a v-6 AWD.

The 5.0 ex's are AWD or 2wd

the 4.o X's are control trac 4x4 or 2wd

95-96
4.0 OHV
5r55e tranny
And I forget the T-case, but you get 2wd 4 auto and 4 low

97-01
4.0 OHV or 4.0 SOHC
5r55e tranny
T-case selections are auto, 4hi, 4low

The 97-01 ex's also had the 5 liter v-8 option which was backed by a 4r70w tranny and an AWD t-case.

My opinions?
the 5.0 and 4r70w are the best option. Power is good, tranny is strong, the only flam is the AWD but the output shaft on the tranny can be replaced with that form the AOD to allow the use of an advance adaptors kit to use a couple t-case options for true 4x4.

Next in my opinion is the 4.0 OHV namely for the reliability factor. and it's overall workhorse nature. The %R is a weak tranny, but will hold up if cared for well.

The4 SOHC is a better performing 4.0 but is also the weaker of the two 4.0's as to logevity.

All have pro's and con's but the 5.0 is the way to go.

97 is a better truck IMO, the 95's have ALOT of problems, 95 is an odd year for cars, inbetween OBD-1 and OBD-2. 97 was th efirsts year of the SOHC, but if the TSB on the timing tensioners was performed you should be good.

The trans is the weak link, but with regualr fluid and filter changes you can really extend the life of it.

Back