'95 xl reg cab 4x4 5 speed 2.3l | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'95 xl reg cab 4x4 5 speed 2.3l

..The fun has begun..:D

IMG_20130609_124141.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..Still working on doing a write up for the previous picture but I was recently asked about what I use for tie downs in my Ranger..

..My Ranger has a carpet kit, a pull-out plastic liner and is usually full of tools but while doing some other work on it this weekend I remembered to snap a couple quick pictures..

..The plastic liners tend to move around and really distort out of shape when in the sun so these tie downs serve a dual purpose as in they also hold the liner in place..;)

There are factory holes already in the stake pockets so I just used one of these and 2 big washers to secure it in these holes..

HARNESS%20EYELET%20LONG.jpg

..This picture is from the passenger front bed stake pocket position...

IMG_20130614_205824.jpg

..At the rear of the bed near the tailgate where the plastic liner would flex the most in the sun, I drilled and mounted the same eyelet bolts with big washers to the bed..

IMG_20130614_205744.jpg

..It's trying for 100* degrees here and my heater core decides it's on the way out...

..It's going to get a bypass this weekend as I am only home for a short time and don't have the time to pull the dash to replace it..:rolleyes:

..and had a few minutes to look at the Ranger for maintenance requirements..:rolleyes:

...Torn tranny mount big time
...went to repack front bearings and this now turned into starting on replacing the front rotors
.. I know I need to either tighten up or possibly replace the nylatron bushings in the Ballistic joints.
..I've got a hint of a clunk in the front end which I am suspecting to be the axle pivot bushing
..and a styrofoam squeak at the steering wheel..

:banghead:

..and had a few minutes to look at the Ranger for maintenance requirements..:rolleyes:

...Torn tranny mount big time
...went to repack front bearings and this now turned into starting on replacing the front rotors
.. I know I need to either tighten up or possibly replace the nylatron bushings in the Ballistic joints.
..I've got a hint of a clunk in the front end which I am suspecting to be the axle pivot bushing
..and a styrofoam squeak at the steering wheel..

:banghead:

What type of grease are you shoving into the ballistic joints? I never found a tube of silicone grease (to use with my grease gun) so I'm using synthetic bearing grease. I know its the wrong kind but I figure wrong kind is better than no kind..

If you do replace the nylatron bushings take pics.. I don't know how many more times I can tighten my ballistic joints.. I have a spare set of bushings for it, I'm just putting it off.

~Mark

...The grease, I can't remember...:dunno:

..What's up with you having to tighten yours so often? I haven't had that much trouble with them and I don't have another set of bushings to throw in yet...I do have another set of joints attached to another set of RA's that I ran for a couple months on the Ranger that are slated to go on the X...

..I was thinking about sweet talking you into picking me up some bushings at Ballistic during TH season but when I talked to them quite a while ago they acted like there may be more than one style nylatron bushing so it sounded like a pain to figure out so I haven't yet...You would think they could verify from my past orders but..:dunno:

...Along the same lines, I was talking with Dan out at Glen Helen and he said RuffStuff has their own line of similar joints with Nylatron bushings..I'm not sure if everything is compatible but looking to find out more about them as I know they take good care of their customers..;)

...The grease, I can't remember...:dunno:

..What's up with you having to tighten yours so often? I haven't had that much trouble with them and I don't have another set of bushings to throw in yet...I do have another set of joints attached to another set of RA's that I ran for a couple months on the Ranger that are slated to go on the X...

I've only turned them 3 different times each side I think, over the years (3 years). I just shove a pry bar between them and the mount.. if I can get them to move I tightened them.. I don't now how much I've worn into them though.. One of these days I'll pull them apart and look at them.

..I was thinking about sweet talking you into picking me up some bushings at Ballistic during TH season but when I talked to them quite a while ago they acted like there may be more than one style nylatron bushing so it sounded like a pain to figure out so I haven't yet...You would think they could verify from my past orders but..:dunno:
I ran into that too.. I stopped by and I gave them the date I bought them and showed them a pic and they sold me replacements.. I haven't taken apart my orig ones to see if they are the right ones yet... If you need me to grab them I can. They are on the way to Truckhaven :)

...Along the same lines, I was talking with Dan out at Glen Helen and he said RuffStuff has their own line of similar joints with Nylatron bushings..I'm not sure if everything is compatible but looking to find out more about them as I know they take good care of their customers..;)

I was also thinking of switching brands BUT I'm running an odd size.. 7/8" shank and 9/16" cross bolt. I could change the cross bolt size but changing the shank size will be a pain.

I do like RuffStuff though.. I put an order in on Monday for some parts and I'll have them tomorrow.

~Mark

..Well, I wore another fuel filler hose out..:rolleyes:

..I would blame it on Moab but since it was a few months ago I won't..

..Tonight when filling up before leaving town I thought to myself, this is the first time in a long time I didn't have to fidget with the nozzle several times to fill up...They must have fixed the nozzles...

...A few minutes later something was dripping under the truck..:rolleyes:

..Well, I wore another fuel filler hose out..:rolleyes:

..I would blame it on Moab but since it was a few months ago I won't..

..Tonight when filling up before leaving town I thought to myself, this is the first time in a long time I didn't have to fidget with the nozzle several times to fill up...They must have fixed the nozzles...

...A few minutes later something was dripping under the truck..:rolleyes:

I've noticed the non OEM hoses just don't last as long. I helped install a set on an f-150 a few years back. They had to be replaced again last month.

The factory ones lasted about 20 years. The first replacement set only lasted 5. At $2.50/inch you would expect that stuff to last..

~Mark

...Sadly like most Factory replacement items from Ford for the older vehicles, they are discontinued or 1000x overpriced..:(

...I ordered the new fuel filler hose online for $40 yesterday so that should ship out today..

4:88 DD Gearing Update

..With my standard trans 2.3L I am very happy with the 4:88 gearing and the 33" tires for hauling loads in my Ranger and as Daily Driver status..:biggthump

..I still get a variable of 15-18 mpg in town hauling these loads and over 20 mpg on long highway drives..

..The thing that puts this over the top and keeps surprising me along the way...Like coming out of San Diego and those two dreaded big hills I used to be only able to do 45 mph max on the freeway with 4:10's and 32's I recently found myself doing 70 in 4th gear climbing those same hills...

..With the 2.3L it takes a while to get up to speed on the hills but the gearing sure has made a great improvement which I think I've maxed out..(gearing wise that is for DD status)...:biggthump

..I need to update this...:rolleyes:

In late October and just before the Truckhaven run, The Ranger got a new clutch, clutch line, Flywheel, and I installed the Atlas the day I left for Truckhaven..

..The week I got back I finally installed the new fuel filler hose too..:biggthump

:scratch:..That's all I can remember doing to it for now as work has still been busy and well, the camping and bikepacking thing too.:D

..Now that it is getting cooler I do need to get to thinking about a heater core and get that in before the cold wind really gets to blowin'..

Heater core? It doesn't get cold in SoCal ...

..:shifty_ey ..I need the heater to defrost the foggy windows at the drive in picture show..:D

Hey TBars...

First off, nice rig, man--always like to see another 2.3L, 5-speed Ranger in such good shape!

However, I do have some questions.

I'm running a '92 Ranger, same motor/transmission as you.

What I want to know is, what combo of tire and rim size, and rear gearing, would be ideal for a Ranger that is turboed.

I'm planning on doing a turbo swap sometime in the future, and I'm not really sure what I would need to use to keep my Ranger in the proper power band.

What I'm running right now are the stock 14s, with a 3.08 gearing in the rear. That combo seems like that its holding the running capability back, even though on long trips I've been able to pass semis running 50 MPH.

I was thinking of running 15s (I've got a set of rims to put on right now), but I've been contemplating running a set of early '90s-style F-150 16s (pretty sure the bolt pattern is the same).

Just interested in what your thoughts would be, since you've messed around with wheel and tire sizes, as well as rear gearing. Again, nice rig--I'm glad to see that even a 2.3 can handle a trailer, even loaded! lol :D

..2wd or 4wd?

..If it were I, I would pull a set of used 4:10 geared axles (I suggest 2nd gen rear for disc brakes;) ) as they would be the easiest and cheapest way to do some testing on what you would personally desire for what type of driving/hauling (not mentioned) you will be doing with your truck..

..The difference would be noticeable while the cost would be minimal giving you time to discover the difference and contemplate what mod is next..:biggthump

..2wd or 4wd?

..If it were I, I would pull a set of used 4:10 geared axles (I suggest 2nd gen rear for disc brakes;) ) as they would be the easiest and cheapest way to do some testing on what you would personally desire for what type of driving/hauling (not mentioned) you will be doing with your truck..

..The difference would be noticeable while the cost would be minimal giving you time to discover the difference and contemplate what mod is next..:biggthump

2WD...I've already done a disc-brake mod, as I already did put Mustang rear brakes on (I can upgrade to bigger brakes to go with bigger wheels, if needed).

As for what I want to do, I want to be able to get through snow in the winter, as well as haul different things from time to time, maybe do a little light off-roading from time to time (So. IL). Basically, I'd be going camping WAY out in the boonies, and I don't want to struggle going uphill or downhill. Also, the other thing I would want is to be able to have somewhat decent gas mileage.

I was originally thinking either 15s or 16s (leaning towards 16s, as 15s, for used tires, are becoming really scarce), with either 3.73 gearing or 4.10 gearing.

What do you think? I'll be running a normal 2.3 to start, transitioning to a turbo 2.3 sooner or later.

..:scratch:..I would still go with an Explorer 4:10 swap and throw your Mustang parts on it..

..The 4:10's would be the best power/gas medium although you haven't mentioned tire size, you should be good up to 32"-33" tire stretching the mileage out...

The difference between 27" to 33" tires will allow several variations of driveability..The tire size changing will let you dial in what you want for power/gas mileage with the 4:10's and that should make you happy with no matter what is under the hood..;)

..It also is not uncommon to have two set's of tires..One or offroading and one set for hwy driving...:shifty_ey ..until it becomes a trailer queen..:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..I spoted one of the bolts was leaking again on the rearend..The rearend shop did the set on it when I had the gears swapped so it's been a little over a year..

..I just wish I could seal this without draining it below the bolt..:(

20140125_112003_1_.jpg

Back